Chickens for bug control and food recycling.

PennyJo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
we spent the day yesterday at the poultry auction getting rid of 3 cockerels and old feeders then came home friend brought me 7 peeps she had hatched for me and picked up a frizzle she thought she wanted gone but changed her mind.... so BF decided to move the cockerel coop to a better location a bigger yard next to the hens yard made a whole in garden the piece the boys get had 3x4 field fence so we used that to shore the garden yard from that the coop had made putting 1 inch chicken wire for the cockerel yard.. today is going to be allot slower

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's hard to get a good shot, some of the chicks are always out of the shot behind the hen or out of the range, but here's the broody hen and her 17 total chicks. She's handling them fine so far.

All Chicks.JPG

PennyJo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Adorable shot of peeps...
We had been a bit too busy changing wire even moving the cockerel coop to a new location with a better yard but seem to have lost my chick cockerel he was the only boy left so he was moved into the cockerel coop after we had it moved and set up.. opened the door yesterday morning he did not come out yesterday evening went to close doors no Crispy as we named the little guy in there.
Spent yesterday at new coop birds flying out of their run clipped one wing on each bird last night they are all new birds 5 EE to us but 11 months old then two home grown to young to lay it was one of the 11 month flying out, thought they would be okay had not allowed them out for a week as I they where new.. :ya:hide

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ridge, is your hen one of those cream ameraucana? I always thought they came only in brown and black and weren't that pretty. For the first time I saw some creams ones that were beautiful! Unfortunately they were in the breeder's personal flock and they weren't the age of the others I bought nor was she selling them. But I sure would have gotten one of those if I could have.

Mary

Last edited:

lcertuche

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I wish one of my girls would go broody so far not any inclination. I have to get rid of one of my roosters he is tearing up their backs. One is an especially favorite of his. She will be bald before long.

Latest posts