1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official TEG Poll: What is your garden style?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Featured Thread - Mints.
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Chickens for bug control and food recycling.

Discussion in 'Gardening With Animals' started by Beekissed, Sep 3, 2015.

1. Aug 12, 2017
    Nenebynature

Nenebynature Garden Ornament

Mostly city girl here too

PennyJo likes this.
  2. Aug 12, 2017
    Nenebynature

Gave my chooks tons of kitchen scraps and veggies this week and fresh straw to keep them busy with the introduction of the new roo.

PennyJo likes this.
  3. Aug 12, 2017
    Nyboy

Nyboy Garden Master

Good Luck with your rooster ( might want to ask best way to cook fresh killed rooster) I do not think I would have trouble with the processing, it is the dispatch I would have problem with.

Nenebynature and PennyJo like this.
  4. Aug 12, 2017
    buckabucka

buckabucka Garden Addicted

I don't do the dispatch or the processing here. I suppose I would get over the squeamishness and feel good about my self-sufficiency if I forced myself to do it, but my friend who has lots of experience doing her own says she has it down to 1/2 per bird, start to finish.

There is a place not far from here where we pay $4 per bird. The will halve and quarter if desired, and hand it back chilled and vacuum sealed. It seems like a bargain to me.

5. Aug 12, 2017
    Nyboy

Nyboy Garden Master

If I could have them done for $4 a bird I would get meat chickens. My other favorite meat is pork, I Like how @baymule gives her pigs roomy pen, place to root around and kitchen scraps, good life for a pig

6. Aug 12, 2017
    PennyJo

PennyJo Deeply Rooted

Said it before BF has done it so have I arthritis in hands will not let me pluck vision I am scary with sharp objects
    we go to auction

Nenebynature likes this.
  7. Aug 13, 2017
    Nenebynature

I'm so silly, I never even thought of having A professional do it. Or semi professional anyway ha ha.

PennyJo likes this.
  8. Aug 16, 2017
    PennyJo

PennyJo Deeply Rooted

hey been fighting with myself about the new coop and nest boxes use tubs with the front cut out but none here to snitch already did for main coop so he suggested we changed out the water buckets out yesterday in the main coop had then screwed into upright 4 x 4 about sixteen inches each they started swaying back have them on cinder blocks in the new coop buying tubs at even wally world they want upwards of 15 for bigger ones BF suggested buckets from main coop we took out these are all from home depot 5 gallon

9. Aug 17, 2017 at 4:12 PM
    Beekissed

Beekissed Garden Master

You are on the right track. It always baffles me, the sheer number of people who love, love, love chickens and also love to eat chickens but would NEVER eat one of their own....they tell me they only love THEIR chickens, not those nameless birds suffering in large, airless buildings and that's how they justify eating chicken all the time.

It's a weird way of thinking, but I guess it works for them.

You don't have to stop naming them to keep it all separated in your mind, so don't let that stop you from the joy of naming your food and enjoying their personalities and their lives while they are on the land. That removes a lot of the joy of it all.

Come killing time, you get the one to be sure your good hen leaves this world in a caring manner and is consumed by those who loved her from chick to table. Trust me, the meat from a chicken you've nurtured for all its life tastes MUCH better than factory birds.

You tellin' me that a tough cookie New Yorker isn't tough enough to kill a chicken? o_O Hand in your New Yorker card right NOW, bub!

:gig

I've seen some really cute nest box units made from old dressers and old filing cabinets....those can be found pretty cheap at Good Will, Habitat stores and flea markets. Usually around $10-$15 and you get 4-5 nests out of them, maybe more, depending on the size of your dresser/cabinet and the size of your birds.

Nenebynature, Nyboy and PennyJo like this.
  10. Aug 17, 2017 at 6:06 PM
    PennyJo

PennyJo Deeply Rooted

ah but no other use for buckets with holes in the sides right

Nenebynature likes this.