Attachments

• choke weed.JPG
    choke weed.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 1,780

Judy Pajak

Sprout
Reaction score
:welcome

I wish we were more helpful... we just haven't found the info on this weed anywhere. Not by the name anyways. Would you have pictures to share, that would really help a lot!
choke weed.JPG
here is the bugger

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Looks like a wild morning glory. Some of those have extensive roots & can be hard to eradicate. I have a wild morning glory in my lawn, I would probably have to kill my entire lawn to MAYBE kill that weed.:th

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I must be the only person who can kill this little beast. All the ones that pop up around my yard are thin and spindly. If I just keep yanking them up before they bloom, they don't come back the next year.
Too bad that doesn't work for ALL THE OTHER WEEDS...

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Looks like a wild morning glory. Some of those have extensive roots & can be hard to eradicate. I have a wild morning glory in my lawn, I would probably have to kill my entire lawn to MAYBE kill that weed.:th
2-4D will kill it and leave grass alone.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
we had some try to take over a trellis in the front gardens and it took a few years of pulling all the new growth before the roots finally gave up. you just have to be consistent. if you can scrape the area any time you see new growth that should work...

Sunshinealways

Garden lurker
Reaction score
Thank you for that info about Roundup. I suggested that to her and another person on that forum said she had tried it and it had not worked very well.

What does choke weed look like and how does it grow? What is its botanical name?

I use Roundup sparingly on stubborn weeds like dandelion in my crushed rock driveway. It is 200 ft. long and keep it weed free by hand pulling mostly but rely on good old Roundup once or twice a year.

SDR:)
Try looking up bind weed it is another name I have heard it called. A description of it or at least what i call it.
Leaves are the best way to identify it.
They are shaped like an arrow head. The top and two bottom corners are pointed. The flowers are like a horn in shape and can be white, pink, or pink and white. It can have more than one runner all coming from the same base. They spread by root. So you have to get it all. Digging and pulling it out when its young is the best. I have used vinegar. If you can get the strongest one you can find, salt can work on weeds also. PLEASE DO NOT USE round up as it's really bad for our lungs, animals and bees to only mention a few.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
This weed has several names. Here, we call it "bindweed."
If you get out your spade, you can clear most or ALL of it from your beds.
BE SURE TO THROW THE PIECES INTO THE GARBAGE!
I cleared a bed 2 years ago, I just kept digging, putting the clods of soil into my wheelbarrow, worked the pieces out, transported them in a bucket and threw them into the trash.
If you miss one, or it is living underneath a building, you can save a "to go" cup, save the cap, toss the straw, and use a small cheapo child's paintbrush to brush it and kill it with your favorite herbicide. I prefer 2D4, myself.
BE SURE TO LABEL THE CUP, "POISON," btw.

Latest posts