Chop Meat

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ok girls, get your stories straight...are you making shells from scratch or buying the soft shells?

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Seed, when I make ground beef tacos, I use corn tortillas from the store and fry them into shells.

When I make shrimp tacos I use corn tortillas from the store. These I do not fry. I just warm them over a gas flame.

Mary

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, I don't have any Hispanic in me, like Mary, or around me, like Bay may, but I would like to make flour tortillas. a lot of the ones you buy are so gummy when warmed. Yuck. I may try to find a good recipe for the flour ones.
I like to use the big ones , fill with a mixture of cooked ground beef, taco seasoning and refried beans, top with cheese, fold in half (smoosh a little) and toast them on each side in a skillet. Chopped lettuce, tomato and salsa to add on after cooking. The flour tortillas aren't so gummy when toasted this way. I don't know what to call them, so they are called "those Mexican things". My DH knows what I mean.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
....or you could make a South West Pie :)

Spring form pan, grease bottom with a bit of butter
Flour tortilla in bottom of pan
Spread with refried beans
Sprinkle with TexMex cheese
Flour tortilla
layer of crumpled falafels
more cheese
flour tortilla
layer of southwest salad (rice, black beans, corn and other stuff)
more cheese
Sprinkled top with diced sweet onion, red and green pepper, olives are optional
Bake in oven at 350º for a half hour

Screen Shot 2016-08-09 at 11.32.11 AM.png
Serve with sour cream and chipotle sauce :drool

Annette

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, I don't have any Hispanic in me, like Mary, or around me, like Bay may, but I would like to make flour tortillas. a lot of the ones you buy are so gummy when warmed. Yuck. I may try to find a good recipe for the flour ones.
I like to use the big ones , fill with a mixture of cooked ground beef, taco seasoning and refried beans, top with cheese, fold in half (smoosh a little) and toast them on each side in a skillet. Chopped lettuce, tomato and salsa to add on after cooking. The flour tortillas aren't so gummy when toasted this way. I don't know what to call them, so they are called "those Mexican things". My DH knows what I mean.
I would call them chimichangas. I know they are not fried but if you are toasting them in oil, they're close. ;)

Mary

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cane, you guys got me on a taco fix too! Luckly my husband called and asked what's for dinner. Told him I didn't know but I had a pound of ground beef. He says "Why don't you make those tacos you used to make?" So I did. These look more like enchiladas. We call anything with a tortilla and a filling tacos not burritos.

I cooked the ground beef with garlic, onion, cumin, chili pepper, salt and pepper. Then add a couple tablespoons of flour and stir.

Add about half a can (14oz) of tomato sauce. Taste and add more seasonings if needed.

It should be soupy.

Heat corn tortillas in oil till soft but not too hard. You want them pliable enough to roll.

Take a tortilla, fill with ground beef, and roll. Place additional ground beef on top. Top with sour cream and chopped avocados.

They are sooooo good. My grandmother and mom used to make them.

Mary

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score

Something like a Quesadilla? I have an electric Quesadilla maker somewhere in the cupboard, haven't used it in awhile, maybe it's time to pull it out and surprise hubby. We quite often have them when we go out for lunch, so haven't made them at home for quite awhile.
When I make them I use cheese, diced tomato, a bit of green onion, sometimes olives, sometimes not and sometimes chicken if I happen to have some for the filling. In the pan for a few minutes, done, serve with sour cream and salsa.

Annette

Last edited:

Latest posts