Chronicles of a Noob Garden and Gardener

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i was thinking that, but i didn't know for sure.

the difference though is likely not in ground freezing but the expected lowest low. some plants can handle 27F but would not survive 20F.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I have found that there is always a reason why something you plant grows well or grows poorly. I like your attitude towards kale. Never ate it, never have grown it, but I have heard that it can be grown and harvested way after everything else is frozen. Pretty hardy plant.
I was studying up yesterday and came across an article about using DE (diatomaceous earth.) The author wrote that she posted it's good qualities and noticed that pretty much ANYTHING you can decide to do can and Will be heartily criticized online.
I think that I learn a lot about growing things just by doing it.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Maybe by playing around with planting dates, you can figure out what is best for your area. Maybe set out half your seedlings, hold half back just in case they freeze. Then replant the ones you lost. Gardening is a crapshoot sometimes.

Ben E Lou

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Heh. Months ago I marked Saturday, February 2nd, as the day to put the carrots, onions, and radishes in the ground. I reckon if this forecast holds I won't have to do a whole lot of early watering. Goodness.
extended_forecast.png
extended_forecast.png

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Looks like our forecast 300 days a year :lol:

In all seriousness, I look forward to seeing how your plants do outside. :)

Ben E Lou

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
They’ve asked for their own little gardens to call their own. I tilled a few weeks ago and have had their areas covered wtih black plastic since then, and today we built their beds. My favorite part of the day was during the trip to Home Depot with the younger. She saw the flowers in their garden center and the following exchange ensued:

R: “Daddy, the Home Depot flowers make me really happy with who I am.”

Me: “What do you mean by ‘happy with who I am.’”

R: “The flowers make me happy I’m a gardener.”

Latest posts