Chronicles of a Noob Garden and Gardener

Ben E Lou

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@ninnymary Sweet million.

Life has been too busy to post much, partially because of the garden: harvesting like gangbusters lately. Highlights...
  • For the past week-ish, we've been harvesting double digits cucumbers every day. My wife made a dozen jars of pickles, and we've also given away a a few dozen cucumbers to friends.
  • Turns out the keto squash casserole recipe my wife is using does well cooking from frozen, so she has made six of them for future use. Big family July 4th celebration coming up, so I'd imagine she'll use 2 or 3 then.
  • Harvested a couple dozen cherry tomatoes each of the last three days. We're about to be in giveaway mode with those.
  • We've gotten around 5 or 6 slicing tomatoes so far, and they're about to hit their stride, it appears. Amazing taste.
  • Something (I think a rabbit) keeps eating my bush bean plants, but not the beans themselves. Definitely not insects--too much damage in short periods of time. The leaves are about to be stripped clean. I may just give up on those.
  • Green bell peppers are ready, and the red/orange/yellow ones shouldn't be far behind.
  • Zucchini isn't going gangbusters, but it has been solid and steady.
  • Insane amount of basil, but I knew/expected that. My wife freezes large quantities of homemade pesto.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Something (I think a rabbit) keeps eating my bush bean plants,
Rabbits like beans.

I was once having a rabbit/bean problem. Inspired by my experience trying to control slugs, I sprayed the plants.

With slugs, moving in overnight to chew up plants, I found that most anything sprayed seemed to repel the slugs. (I'd try to even make their path into the garden unpleasant with spray ;).)

I probably used insecticidal soap on the beans, something organic ... Result: the rabbits came back and ate all the remaining bean plants by the next morning :barnie.

Steve

Ben E Lou

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We got back Friday from a week and a half out of town. We had a neighbor picking stuff so that our plants would continue to produce well. The idea was to pick everything as I got ripe, but I suspect that she only picked as much as she and her family could eat. I’ll write more later, but wanted to post the insane cherry tomato harvest, and a pic of what just one of the plants looked like upon our return. The harvest pic is just from the last two mornings, and we ate or gave around around 30 of them yesterday.

53E847A8-CDF8-4869-BC7D-6D7063468169.jpeg
342B4F8F-A242-4EBF-9B4B-AEB48AA0DFB5.jpeg

Latest posts