Cilantro-Any tips for successful growth?

AlienChick

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I grew cilantro in my garden last season and it didn't do well at all.
It was small with not very many leaves, then it bolted.

This year I'm buying cilantro seeds and will plant them in large pots on my patio to see if it makes a difference.
I think by them being closer to me (my patio), I'll be able to watch/care for them better.

We'll see.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
That may just be the life cycle. It does not last a whole season. Try successive planting. I have a tunnel greenhouse where I put my first crop of cilantro. It seems to last the longest in there and it doesn't make sense as to why that is. Try a different variety also.

clutterfree

Sprout
Reaction score
I've tried growing cilantro for years and never had much luck. The plants always seem to bolt and die as soon as it starts getting hot outside. But I have found a variety that does great, even during our really hot summers here in the south. It is what we call "Charleston Cilantro". The botanical name is "Polygonum odoatum". Good luck!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Really, "Charleston Cilantro??"

I didn't know it went by that name. I've had those plants - they do smell like cilantro but couldn't possibly be related! They also go by the names: Vietnam Cilantro & Vietnam Coriander.

I'm happy to have real cilantro part of the year, anyway :).

Welcome to the forum, Clutterfree :frow!

Steve

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have the same problem as the OP. Sprouts turns brown an DIES!!! Or last year I BOUGHT cilantro and as soon as I planted it, it bolted. I think I'm going to buy a bunch of seed packs of varying varieties and throw them in the corner of the horse corral along with dill. Maybe, just maybe I'll have some when I need it. Maybe.

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I buy cilantro every week from the grocery store, every week. If there is any left, I freeze it for soups. We eat a lot of cilantro at my house.

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I don't plant cilantro any more nut when I did I found that a shady spot seemed to work much better than the direct sun locations. Cilantro tastes like soap.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow! To me cilantro is the most delicious herb. My nephew said it tastes like dirt.
Smiles said:
I don't plant cilantro any more nut when I did I found that a shady spot seemed to work much better than the direct sun locations. Cilantro tastes like soap.

Latest posts