cilantro

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
BJ, for me, tomatillos ripened like tomatoes, very late in the garden season (montana garden season, that is.)

I too love cilantro, and just let it self seed in my garden. I also save some seed for coriander and replanting. But i dont know why i have never dried the leaves...must remember to do that this year!!

Dave2000

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You don't really have to cut them back, but once the leaves get to be full sized you might as well cut and use them as they just end up shading the other new leaves if you don't, and start to degrade. When it bolts the new leaves will also be a different shape and in my opinion, a little bit bitter tasting.

I would recommend bringing them inside if possible considering your growing zone. While they will grow for 2 or 3 months in mild weather, once it gets above about 75F for a few days in a row after they are mature, then they will start to bolt.

For this reason I always do an early spring and late fall crop. I have it growing in pots so once the plant has produced seed and starts drying out, I bring the pots inside for a couple months so they stay dry and out of wind. After the two months (maybe 3 to 4 months for you) I harvest the seed, inevitably knocking a few off onto the soil that I leave behind. I sprinkle 1/4" of soil over them and start them again outside.

I do dehydrate it a lot, just placed on racks with mild fan forced air. It does lose a fair amount of taste but some remains, almost like it is a different but still related spice. I suppose you could say the same about a lot of different spices when comparing fresh vs dried.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oops, we planrted cilantro and being a noice with that I did not know it shoulf be cut back. We did not check the garden much as it was hot and wet this week. Looked last night and it has flowered BIG TIME. So there will be very little cilatro for use. But hey, it is a pretty flower! Hmmm a thaught here. If we let it go will it reseed itself?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
That Dave seems to be a real smart gardener.

It was kind of fun looking back at my post almost 8 weeks ago and me saying that my very best cilantro plants were the one's that overwinter. Right now -- I am rolling in cilantro! But, these sown plants are always so crowded I don't think they could make any decent size. They won't get much of a chance because the weather is going to be very hot the next few days. I'll be lucky to have some nice leaves in another week.

Yes, they self-sow easily. The seed is also very easy to collect. It is interesting to do that first, because it smells so darn good! Second, you will notice that the seed is actually a "fruit" and there are 2 halves to it. Yeah, there are 2 seeds in there! You can aid germination if you use a rolling pin on the seeds and break them apart -- don't do that until you are ready to plant tho'. Or, ready to make coriander spice :p.

I've never done anything with the seed other than plant it. Never made spice. If you like coriander-flavored cookies and candies, it would make sense for a gardener cook to do that.

Cilantro/coriander doesn't have much trouble reseeding but I am always trying (too hard, probably) to get the little plants to do what I want them to do. You know, give me season long cilantro!

Steve

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
ducks4you said:
Interesting thread. I have cilantro seeds bc I want to put it in my salsa this year. I have a "Salsa Party" each October, and I want to have all of my ingredient fresh to share. We do a pot-luck, play games, drink Sangria, and then go to the North Pasture for a big bonfire, more drinking, story telling and many guests sleep over bc we stay up very late. THIS year it's gonna be on Columbus Day weekend, Saturday, October 14th. Loads of fun!
What a great idea for a party!!

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I too am disappointed cilantro doesn't come on at the same time as tomatoes. since you live in the desert, plant it in the shade and late fall or early spring. the seeds can be used also of course (cumin). it is a quickie, but I love it and hubby insists on it. I've had it grow about 3 ft tall. I let quite a bit of it go to seed. don't bother trying to use the leaves once it starts to bolt (in my opinion). the taste is off.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Receding into memory!

About 4 days ago:

downsize_zpse791a618.jpg

There is still some in the shade but I think moving on to parsley will be the plan for a couple of months. Still, there is plenty of basil :).

Steve

Dave2000

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I use the coriander as a spice all the time. Great for pork rubs and soups. I grind it in a pepper mill though it still always needs cooked to break down the husk a bit.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
How do you get the strong flavor out of it? Mine is never very strong. I still eat it when it flowers. I just strip off the leaves and flowers and eat!
Dave2000 said:
You don't really have to cut them back, but once the leaves get to be full sized you might as well cut and use them as they just end up shading the other new leaves if you don't, and start to degrade. When it bolts the new leaves will also be a different shape and in my opinion, a little bit bitter tasting.

I would recommend bringing them inside if possible considering your growing zone. While they will grow for 2 or 3 months in mild weather, once it gets above about 75F for a few days in a row after they are mature, then they will start to bolt.

For this reason I always do an early spring and late fall crop. I have it growing in pots so once the plant has produced seed and starts drying out, I bring the pots inside for a couple months so they stay dry and out of wind. After the two months (maybe 3 to 4 months for you) I harvest the seed, inevitably knocking a few off onto the soil that I leave behind. I sprinkle 1/4" of soil over them and start them again outside.

I do dehydrate it a lot, just placed on racks with mild fan forced air. It does lose a fair amount of taste but some remains, almost like it is a different but still related spice. I suppose you could say the same about a lot of different spices when comparing fresh vs dried.

Latest posts