cilantro

desertlady

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I dont care for cilantro in my salsa, but its very popular in my home town ! Safford is know for Salsa trail, (too many mexican foods along the highway)Cilantro is good with green salsa, etc. I thought I can try to grow cilantro to share with my "Salsa" friends.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have wondered about things like that, too.

What I think may work for cilantro, Cane', is to build a shade house for it during the summer months. Or, it may be fine on the north side of a house. It doesn't like to compete with trees or other plant roots. Fussy little intolerant thing . . .

One of the veggie dishes I like is just slices of tomatoes with snow peas . . . Okay, just try to have snow peas around at the same time as your ripe tomatoes! I can barely have some pea pods from a late July planting that show up about the time as the 1st frost. Peas sown in May are distant memories by the time I see any red on a tomato plant.

(And, then there is dry cilantro . . .)

Steve

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
dh is always asking for fresh cilantro. the only time he gets it is early spring. mine has been growing on the east side of the house this year. it is bolting as we speak. I love the stuff. I love how it comes up wherever & it's tough if it's not too hot and not too sunny. I've never grown tomatillos. does their growing cycle coincide? love green sauce.

how these foods get paired is a mystery. just like tomatoes & peppers. my tomatoes are about done & croaking in the heat when the peppers are leaping with joy about the 100 degree days.

I love my salsa loaded w/cilantro, lots of hot peppers, crunchy onions, & juicy tomatoes. yum

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
You need to plant cilantro consecutively ,perhaps a new crop every 2-3 weeks to keep cilantro going. It is a short season crop.
I have a cilantro question. Mine is never very strong in flavor-any tips for more flavorful cilantro? Is it my seed ? Is there a way to bring out more flavor?

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Coffee's still working on kickin' in, but I can't remember if I put on my garden inventory that I have two Cilantro plants. They reseeded from last year's. They sprouted some time back around St. Patrick's day I guess. It was a bunch of them but I munched them down to two plants as I planted the reverse colored rio zape beans there.

I like how coriander freshens my mouth. Love that aftertaste. Some friends like the seeds for recipes so I save some for them. Strange seeds for cleaning, the way they have that little antenna on one side.

Cilantro is easy to grow. Just get a small patch started that can be their spot to share with something else. I don't think "bolting" is a problem the way that before the flowering happens all those leaves are clustered like that. Ya get a double cropped plant this way.

Leaves used like parsley
Leaves used as flavoring
Plants share space pretty good
Seeds to use in things like Curry recipes
Seeds to save off in case the patch fails or to start another patch
Seeds to share

If some seeds sprout at an odd time, if you are in a zone like where it freezes but not real bad some may tough it through winter, otherwise just eat them. If in a cold zone eat them. Don't worry. If the seeds are safe in the ground some will probably sprout when they should. Once you have your patch going and have your spare seeds you can reseed if nature didn't.

Latest posts