Cleaning Weathered Teak

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Me, too, Nyboy. He actually made the first (and smaller) one for his grandmother. We got it when she passed. This bigger one was made for me. Still says he'll make two single seats and a table that match what I have when there's time. Time is a scarce and valuable commodity around here.

So, Nyboy, whatcha gonna do with your teak bench? I was really surprised at how easily the cedar deck and swings cleaned up...all the scale, mold, moss, and black gone. The wood looked like new.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wonder if you can use deck cleaner on it? It does a good job of removing all that icky green stuff, on decks at least.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Before the last post I was going to agree with power washing it. Teak, I have read, was made to survive very wet climates. Wood AND LEATHER need to be cleaned to the pores before you add any protective product to them. I spray my leather tack with a power nozzle on my hose before I scrub them with soap, then thoroughly rinse and let dry in the sun. If they need it, then I oil them. If you apply any oil to dirty leather or wood you will seal the dirt in.
I also get check to see if there is any damage and address that, too.
Please let us know how your refinisher deals with this. :D

Latest posts