Clematis

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love them I brought one back from London when I lived in Ct. Was the only plant i took from garden in West Port. Now it covers my well house in lagrange, I joke t has traveled 2 counties and 2 states. I lose a lot more clematis then any other plant I can't stop buying them when in flower at nursery. Do have a problem with wilt the leaves turn brown and drop off.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can not grow the Montanas. I've tried several times but they get winter killed.
I would love to have one climb into a tree canopy. Yours is amazing Annette.

I'll have to hunt out my photos, but I have a hard time remembering their names.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I tried to grow a Sweet Autumn also, it didn't do much, and I forgot about it. Last summer I was cleaning out some native snowberry that was creeping in under the pine where the clem was planted and to my surprise the vine was growing. Huh, maybe it will take off this year with a little encouragement.
That would be fun.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Nyboy clematis wilt can be a problem, It's only happened to me a couple of time in all the years I've been growing them, touch wood. Here in B.C. most pesticides have now been banned so when I plant, I plant them extra deep, at the first sign of wilt I cut to the ground with sterilized secateurs. So far this has worked for me, in a couple of weeks new shoots come up from the root.
Annette

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
The large flowered ones are the most susceptible to wilt. I've had it affect one that I grow on the north side of the house. I couldn't figure out at first why it seemed to be dying. Thanks for the good advice Annette, I'll do that this year if it seems affected again. I'm sure it doesn't help being out of direct sun for most of the day either.

Larisa

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've been collecting and growing these beauties for over 30 years.
Annette WOW!!!
ff%20(7).gif

Your clematis stunning! And I really like Montana wilsonii. I want something similar. Perhaps you can tell about fertilizer? Roots in shadow - an essential condition? And the new photo is interesting.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
My in=laws has a purple and a pink on growing on a trellis over the front walk. They are still there. My oldest bought the house and does nothing to them and they appear again each spring. Then they had the most wonderful Sweet Autumn under a kitchen window, it was cut back each spring and would quickly grow and screen the window and smell heavenly. I tried starting bits of it here MANY times with no luck. Son has since removed it! (Bad Boy.)

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Carol Dee I know it's not the approved way of propagating clematis but I've always had good luck rooting them in water, cut in between the leaf nodes leaving a piece of stem, when roots appear pot up and keep potting up until you reach the gallon size. Then I grow on in the gallon sized pot for a year before planting out.
How I found out this worked for me was I sniped a flowering stem to show someone, then stuck it in a coke can of water in the greenhouse, forgot it was there, I was cleaning up one day and went to throw it out and found it had formed a massive root ball. I've been rooting them that way ever since, usually sit on the kitchen window sill through out the winter.
@Larisa my clematis don't get much in the way of fertilizer, sometimes a bit of a slow release of whatever I have at the time. I plant the root balls deep, and make sure they roots stay moist. When planting my first clematis I used to worry about keeping the roots shaded but don't anymore, I think keeping them from drying out is more important.

Here's a few more of mine....
Haku Ookan.JPG
Haku Ookan, blooms twice, semi double on old wood single on new.

Omoshiro.JPG
Omoshiro

DSCN6069.JPG
Vyvyan Pernell

H.F. Young.JPG
H.F. Young

The Vagabond.JPG
The Vagabond

Blue Bird.JPG
Bluebird

I have more but some I don't have a picture of, I planted Sweet Autumn Love last fall, hoping to see a few scented flowers this year.

Annette

Latest posts