Clematis

spookybird

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
IN NE Ok. SAC grows wild in the ditches in the woods. Everywhere!!! I didn't realize how bad it was till my was blooming and I started seeing more as we drove around. seen it in Mo. too.
I have mine growing over a shed. Cut it back every fall.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
My first was a Jackmanii, which flowered hugely~twice~the first year planted and each year thereafter, seeming to love my poor soil the best. That was 13 yrs ago and at another home I owned....when I moved, I took it with me and gave it to my mother. It now grows at the end of her porch here, still flowering hugely and covering the entire end of the porch each year.

She cuts it back to a foot tall each fall and it grows back to the roof again each summer. She and I have both had other clematis since then, but none like this Jackmanii and none have survived well in our poor soils like this one. It gets no fertilizer, it's in heavy clay, ridge top soil with it's feet exposed to the sun and chickens digging around it all the time.

LOVE the Jackmanii!!! Would love to try that Montana clematis if I could fine one here locally...I've seen those covering whole carports and they are just as lovely and hardy as our Jackmanii is.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
A lot of the Montanas are scented, M. Elizabeth pastel pink with the scent of vanilla, my daughter has this one it covers the wrought iron railing on her front steps. M. rubens another scented one, I have this one on our front porch but don't have a picture yet.

M. Freda on the back fence, it's pink with a darker edge, one of my favorites.

M.Marjorie is a semi double with a touch of salmon around the edges.

The Montanas can cover a lot of ground once they get growing but they only bloom once in a season.

A couple more of mine..

The President

John Warren

Annette

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Don't remember what purple clematis I planted when the one that was already on the property next to the SE side of the garage complete with small trellis, died. I think I pulled it out weeding. :th
Anyway, the one that I replaced it with just loves it there. I read early on about shading the roots and so I moved a 10 inch high roundish rock to block the sunshine from the roots. It, unfortunately, competes with some bindweed and the thorned blackberries (soon to be a distant, burnt memory!), but no matter what I do to it, it keeps coming back every year and flowering for me. I'd like to try the ones that bloom in the Fall sometime.

Latest posts