1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official TEG Poll: What is your garden style?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Happy Autumn all! - Discussion Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Client's Restaurant

Discussion in 'The Harvest: Recipes, Canning, Preserving' started by Nyboy, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Apr 16, 2018
    canesisters

canesisters Garden Master

I can't imagine... I'm not sure that I would pay that for dinner and a show - and it better be a GOOD dinner..
    Of course, little'ol Dinwiddie has a vastly different 'cost of living' than NY, but WOW..
    Around here, if a restaurant gets a reputation for small portions and high prices, it won't be around for very long.

Collector and Ridgerunner like this.
  2. Apr 16, 2018
    flowerbug

flowerbug Garden Addicted

i'm pretty sure a large part of that is cultural...

european cuisine for upper classes would be based upon the fact that people don't have to work quite so hard as those in less settled places (or the peasant/serf classes).

i couldn't survive on light eating all summer, during the winter i need to eat pretty light unless there's a lot of snow to shovel.

3. Apr 16, 2018
    baymule

baymule Garden Master

You should have brought her to MY house! We serve lamb, pork, grass fed beef, fresh chicken, a variety of vegetables and you durn sure wouldn't have left hungry. AND y'all could have stayed for breakfast! LOL LOL LOL

4. Apr 16, 2018
    ninnymary

ninnymary Garden Master

The part I mind is the going home hungry. But I bet that bill had a pricey bottle of wine. ;) Even a couple of glasses of house wine will rack up your bill. When we're on a budget, I'll skip the glass of wine and I tell my husband he can have only 1. :p

Mary

Collector and Beekissed like this.
  5. Apr 16, 2018
    Nyboy

Nyboy Garden Master

Mary what I never saw before, when the waiter opened the next table wine he mentioned it was $500 a bottle.

6. Apr 16, 2018
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Garden Master

I can kind of tell the difference in a $5 bottle of wine and a $10 bottle. I can usually tell a difference in a $15 bottle. But once it gets above that any increase in quality is just not worth it, if even noticeable.

I understand the difference in liquor store pricing and restaurant pricing. They have to make a profit and alcohol is usually a good moneymaker. The pricing I'm talking about above is liquor store pricing. If I have an adult beverage in a restaurant it is almost certainly going to be a beer. And not an exotic beer at that.

baymule likes this.
  7. Apr 16, 2018
    ninnymary

ninnymary Garden Master

We went wine tasting a couple weeks ago to several high end wineries. I couldn't believe wine tasting fee was $75 and thats per person! We had been invited by the wineries so ours were comped. The wine I liked was $225 a bottle. Needless to say we came home with nothing.

Mary

8. Apr 16, 2018
    digitS'

digitS' Garden Master

i don't care.jpg

When I read your first post, NyBoy, my thoughts were that this might involve night driving and I'd better already know the route.

I am learning why breakfast "out" is popular with olde people. #1 it's cheap. #2 it's during daylight hours

;) Steve

Collector, flowerbug and Nyboy like this.
  9. Apr 16, 2018
    ninnymary

ninnymary Garden Master

That's partly why we go out to breakfast. We just like to start our Saturday or Sunday that way. Even though it's a cheap easy meal to prepare at home, I like the fact that I don't have to clean up. My husband and I are seldom going out to dinner now. We are starting to do lunch instead. Lunch is cheaper than dinner and I'm not hankering to get into my jammies that time of day! :p

Mary

Collector, baymule and Nyboy like this.
  10. Apr 16, 2018
    Nyboy

Nyboy Garden Master

Brunch it even has its own cocktails