Clip, clop, clip...

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I rode as a kid, bareback, barefooted, with a hay twine "bridle". I am 60 now and guess what? I use a real bridle and generally wear shoes. It's harder to spring up on a horse's back, so have to stand on something to ride bareback, but I still ride bareback.

Post your pictures here. We will celebrate your happiness with you. No PC Police here.

I know how I will die. I'll be riding a horse when I'm 105. It'll spook, throw me off and I'll hit my head on a rock. No, I won't be wearing a confounded helmet either.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am proud of you for taking on his training on your own and for doing such a GREAT job of it.
Congrats!!

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
One should take some riding lessons on proper horsemanship before one attmepts to train a horse.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
One should take some riding lessons on proper horsemanship before one attmepts to train a horse.
Huh? As a teenager, I would ride the horses that had just been saddle broke. Lessons? Nothing more than get up and hold on. I started out farmering the reins and then trained them to neck rein.

There was a pretty swift turnover in horses so I never got all the way to what I'd have called trained anyway. That was western saddle. I did have a few lessons from the father of my BFFs riding English.

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Been posting so much, can't tell if I posted my trail ride before on here or not.
But DH and I will be going on another trail ride, hopefully, next Friday. Not on my horse, he's no where ready for that, but on the trail farm's horses.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
As a public service only ... Consider you upon a 1000+/- pound horse with a brain of it's own, and with every stride the horse takes there is only 4 square inches of hoof on the ground supporting the both of you. Take a look at any photo / drawing in any basic horsemanship book on proper riding / safety and compare to the photos here and see the differences for yourself. A 1000 +/- green horse and a 100 +/- novice human on it's back have different ideas as to what each is to do for each movement or signal or a horse's perceived scary bugaboo just waiting to jump out from behind a fence post. Some of you who jump aboard and hold on method of riding upon a very gentle horse are just plain lucky to not being injured after being dumped off their backs. Try it with a horse with a little bit of spunk / more highly spirited or trained in different signals as to what to perform or is a barn sour horse and that is an accident waiting to happen. Take it from this lifelong horse owner / breeder who has ridden hundreds of horses with various amounts of training , bad training, or none at all. Nothing to take lightly !!!

Last edited: