Clip, clop, clip...

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here is a little personal story who was on a horse in utero as well after birth to see where I am comming from through my experiences. My mother was in her 7th month of pregnancy and had been rideing her horse daily. In Dec., with 3 ft. of snow on the ground, she was riding her horse when a tree suddenly exploded behind her and her horse from it's sap freezing. The noise sent the horse rearing , my mother got her foot caught in the stirrup as she was falling off and the horse ran about 100 + / - yards back to the barn. All ended well but could have ended otherwise. When I was 19, a couple friends baught a QH mare for their 10 year old daughter. This mare, "Babe" was a former BLM mount for the Forest Rangers for 9 years before she received some burns from a forest fire and so was deemed unsuitable for forest work as a Ranger mount. She was sold for $25 . My friends baught Babe for $100 3 months later after from the new owner for their 9 year old daughter. My friend who was 6'4" , 280 lbs. rode her in the owners' corral with no issues first. She loads very easily into a trailer, so everything was a go. That is untill the daughter rode her at home and a small piece of paper fluttered on the ground due to wind and Babe spooked and dumped the daughter. They asked me to ride Babe to see if she was just startled or if she had any issues. Me being " invincigle" agreed. I saddled Babe up in the friends' 3 board corral and put her to all of her paces and found her to be well broke untill she spooked when she saw a leaf rustle near a fence post ... she exploded, ran through the board fencing through a field and it's barbed wire fence then down the road , several cars going in both directions and pulling off the road, with me hanging onto the saddle and pulling on her reigns untill her chin was touching her chest all the while to no avail. She finally pulled up about 2 miles down the country road completly covered in sweat , breathing VERY heavily and shaking like a leaf. I had to walk her back home. I then rode her almost daily for 3 months, but she still spooked at anything that would move and I couln't make her go over a ditch road bridge for love or money. She was too dangerous for any person to ride, so eventually she was sent to slaughter.

Last edited:

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
I took 4 years of english lessons as a kid. Horse was green broke to saddle as a 2yr old and then left to be wild in a herd for 3yrs until I got him. Then he sat doing not much with me for 2.5yrs because he was still wild, spooky and I couldn't work much with him regularly until Fall 2014.
So not technically 2 greens here.
And not like some people who have hardly even seen a horse in person and then buying one for their kid/themselves and expecting miracles.

Trail owner is a trainer, I'll be taking some lessons with them when it gets cooler and when the horse looses some weight, she'll be training him, too.

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hmm, I would guess that they could pester the horse or me, could get in the way, try to boss him around, he could try ignoring me to follow them, spook him some how etc.
And some of those things did happen, but he has to get used to being ridden with others around and still listen to me. In video, I caught the pinto taking a bite out of his hock while she was following one time. She's a cheeky little money.
They like to nibble at the tack, he does it too while riding and sometimes startles himself when it slaps him after he lets go.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a 27 year old Tennessee Walker mare that is spooky. In the last 15 years, she is the only one that has dumped me. She can jump six feet sideways so fast, I'm suspended in midair until gravity takes over. LOL I don't ride her now because she has respiratory issues, she can hang out, eat feed and hay until she dies. Except for the grizzled gray on her face, she still looks like an eight year old.

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hmm, looking over the pics again, I think the stirrups need to go down another hole. That saddle has 4-5in of fluff per side where your leg goes, it's so annoying. Absolutely ridiculous looking head on. Hoping to find a real treed saddle that fits him, but the gullet can change as his weight changes throughout the year.

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm guilty of bareback riding as well...Did just that tonight.
Lovely day out, but windy. He kept staring out into the trees every time the wind even slightly blew, but he kept calm.
New video stills.
ll.jpeg
ll1.jpeg
ll2.jpeg
ll3.jpeg
ll5.jpeg
ll6.jpeg
ll8.jpeg
ll9.jpeg

ll0.jpeg

ll11.jpeg