Close call with a skunk

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have been searching "skunks" for the story of one of you crazy farmers swinging a skunk around your head. So far no luck. I have had 3 close calls with skunks the last few days. I waited too late to close up my chickens. A few nights ago I saw a skunk in their fenced in yard and ran like hell.Had to go back out later to protect them from other creatures. So tonight again I waited too late and I made lots of noise approaching the same coup. I kept hearing a noise so I was afraid to go in. I threw a big rock in the weeds thinking it would run off if it were in there. IT STARTED RUNNING TOWARDS ME. I guess it has had enough of being nice to me. I will go back out to close the poor chickens. So..... what if I get skunked. How would you clean it off a human?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is the recipe I used for Cee Cee and for my BFF's dog last year. It does really work.

Deodorizing You, Your Pets and Your Clothes

This solution loses effectiveness almost immediately, so it cannot be stored and you will need to make a fresh batch whenever the skunks attack.

Store a sealed bottle of hydrogen peroxide and a small container of baking soda (separately) up in your cupboard so you'll be ready in case of an emergency.

• 1 quart of 3% hydrogen peroxide (from drug store)
  • 1/4 cup of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)
  • 1 teaspoon of liquid detergent
Mix together the hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and a few drops of dishwashing liquid. This is extremely effective at removing skunk smell and is actually recommended by chemists and proven to be highly effective. The hydrogen peroxide and baking soda work together to neutralize the odor, while the degreasing action of the dishwashing liquid help to remove the oily substance that contains the odor causing chemicals.

• Remove clothes immediately and wash them in the hottest water possible.Use the strongest laundry soap you have. It may take a while, but the smell will go away.
  • If you are the victim, hop in the shower and cover yourself liberally with the homemade skunk odor recipe above.
  • Wash pets right away using the same recipe. It's safe for everyone.
  • Rinse completely.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
LOVE the smell of skunk! They say tomato juice will remove the odor. I'd say that skunk is after your chooks...might be a good idea to devise a way to get rid of it.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Skunk charging me, he gets a shot gun......

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't think skunks eat chickens. Eggs maybe. I just have to close them earlier. Off I go right now to see if he's gone.

Latest posts