Close call with a skunk

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tomato juice -- that long held skunk scent myth -- was thought to work only because its strong smell covered the skunk smell for a while. Once the tomato odor dissipated, the 'au de skunk' reek returned.

You need to break up the oil as well as neutralize the smell.

There are worse things than getting skunk on your dog or your person. BFF's dog got sprayed, scared, and came into the house where the dog shook and rubbed herself against every (well nearly) surface in the building before she was caught and removed. That was a de-scenting adventure!

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
@dickiebird massengills medicated douche powder. Worked the best, I haven't seen it for years. If you can get some I would pay any mount for it. Was also great for flushing out inflected ears on dogs!! Not being able to get massengils I use the mixture red posted. Works much better then any skunk shampo!!

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I believe douche powder work so well because it changed the PH. I have a client whose dog was always getting skunked, she was going to try and recreate Massengils powder.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
And don't forget, skunks are carriers of rabies.

And another fact about our friendly two-toned striped Kitty with a fluid overdrive -- they eat bees and will clean out your bee hives. That is why hives are set up off the ground. A skunk is impervious to bee stings, except on their belly. If they have to stand on their hind legs to reach the bees, that exposes their belly and the bees can attack.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I did not run over the skunk last week, some one else did. But I had to straddle the remains. :sick Guess some stink got on the tire. *gag* Went and drove around the gravel roads later to help remove it.
I also heard Dt. Coke will do the job for humans. I do know tomato juice is pretty worthless. Good luck getting Mr. Skunk to move on.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cat, that was me "the skunk swinger!" Though the smell is awful- it washes right off on humans. Pet hair- another story! The clothes are a problem -but Red's recipe should work for them. I had no trouble with it sticking to me- and I am sure it was in my hair- since I was up close and personal. I recommend trapping them (Tractor Supply usually has have-a-heart traps for pretty cheap) and putting the whole trap in a garbage barrel filled with water, after trapping skunk. Cat food and peanut butter seems to be a good way to trap them. I thought they would only eat eggs, as well, but I am no expert. You may find in a few days, they are just gone. Seems to be a problem for awhile and then it is another year before I see them again. Good luck!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
The yard smells in the morning but none of my pets have been sprayed. And not me thank God. I will close the chickens earlier at night.Yes they do seem to be a nuisance for a short time.My dog got sprayed once. It was so close she had yellow on her white fur. She had about 8 baths with all kinds of recommended products. The vet inspired were useless. I think I used Red's remedy. For close to a year you could still smell it every times she got wet. Your are very brave Lesa. Or crazy!

Latest posts