Close call with a skunk

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Skunks kill chickens and eat their heads and soft parts (stomache, etc)

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is too close to another house to use a gun. Nor would I know how to use one. Wouldn't all that stink pew up the yard for quite some time? My husband has trapped them and relocated them.(Illegal) And our trap has seen better days.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
There are several methods given on line for getting rid of skunks. I posted one link but there are many others. Getting rid of their access to cat food, chicken feed, water, killing off the grubs they eat in the lawn and finding and eliminating their dens are all ideas that are inexpensive and DIY.

Our skunk seemed to have moved on once we burned the brush pile it had claimed as its home.
There are a few specific ideas here that might help as well. Good luck!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
You recently posted a problem with moles. Skunk and moles both favor the same food -- grubs in the lawn. If you see triangular digs in your grass, that is a sign that skunks are hunting grubs. Once you manage to get rid of the grubs, the moles and the skunks just might move on as well.

I wish you all the luck in the world. I didn't like having Cee Cee dancing with the skunk in the brush pile and feared she'd get skunked again. She's come home reeking three different times (a slow learner, I suspect).

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The tomato juice bath is a myth.
We had 3 large cans of tomato juice saved for the time a skunk might spray one of our dogs, well that day came and all we did was waste 3 large cans of tomato juice.
Called our vet and he said to use peroxide, baking soda and some powdered feminine hygine product...that worked, a lot less odor!!!

THANX RICH

Latest posts