Cloudy, so Out to Greenhouse!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thank you, @Nyboy. Vent-free! I will assume that is safe for plants.

The one I have might be 30,000 BTU's but I would have to check. I see one on that page of that size.

Of course, my greenhouse is all set up for natural gas including chimney. I imagine that installation is a big part of the price and to be in code compliance, it isn't anything for the homeowner to take on. Perhaps a propane unit wouldn't have those restrictions. I really don't remember what all it cost way back when. The gas line from the house meter had to be dug and electrical power was put in the greenhouse. Still working without failure for another 48 hours.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
plants will likely be ok with a little fumes. don't trust them for a house, would never do that. i see way too much moisture coming out of the propane exhaust pipe and wouldn't want that in the house let alone the fumes. today's newer built houses are wrapped up a bit tighter.

when we converted the wood burning fireplace to fake logs and propane i was hoping for a much better setup than the one we got so we rarely use it. mainly it is for if we lose electricity in the middle of winter - it will keep us from freezing to death and we can warm up some food/water using it, but it will not heat the whole house and eventually we'd have frozen pipes if the electricity stays off for more than four or five days and it is very cold out. luckily so far we've had all of the longer power outages in the late winter/early spring or in the fall or summer when it wasn't much of a problem. it's just very fancy camping - anytime you have a toilet that is deluxe camping. :)

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's been Twelve Hours of problem-free performance from the greenhouse furnace. There was a mid-day break when the sun almost came out but the light rain thru the afternoon helped cool the sunshed and kick the furnace back on.

Two electric heaters with an extra 2 fans - set up and ready to go tonight as they were last night. It takes about 5 minutes to move them in or out. They were in the way for our potting up this afternoon. At some point, finding room for the extra equipment overnight may be a problem.

Of course, the weeks pass and the weather is likely to warm. I somewhat doubt that we will set up the shed-attached hoop house in the neighbor's garden this year. Didn't do it in 2017. It's nice to have it but takes almost a full day of work for set-up. I'm keeping a positive attitude that the transition to a warm growing season will be a gentle one and overflow from the greenhouse won't get outta hand. I'm olde enuf that stress is no longer looked at with bright anticipation ...

Or, it's just that I'm beat this evening from spending 5 hours in the lazyboy last night ... Funny how I can often sleep better here than returning to bed.

Steve
wow! electric rates in ID/Wa are in the bottom 5 in the US.
http://www.neo.ne.gov/statshtml/204.htm

I can't like you furnace problems, but your positive attitude to a warm growing season! :thumbsup

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
The Times Union said that this would be the first day since spring began that we did not get snow in one form or the other, but we will be getting some tomorrow. I left the olives and cymbidium in the greenhouse through these last cold nights with the electric heater set for 45 degrees on a timer from 9 to 9 and everything is fine. The lowest temperature in the greenhouse was recorded last night when it hit 35, the outside temperature was only 20.
Today it is only in the low 40s with a slight wind, but the sun is out and the greenhosue is well above 70 so I am putting the seedlings in for an hour or so. Just a few days under the LED growlight and dome has done wonders for them.

40918.jpg

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's good to see some sunlight on plants, @jackb .

Here are some more

7C667411-9D81-4E8E-84AB-EDC86D894E04.jpeg

... but, these peppers really haven't had enuf sunlight. They have been growing but Thank Heavens there is sunlight on them this morning!

I have had them on the high shelf where it's warmer. That's helped ... helped the tomatoes up there, too. The puny tomatoes in the picture didn't get up there, yet.

More potting work, today :)

Steve

Latest posts