Cloudy, so Out to Greenhouse!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here are some peppers moved in the last few days:
45083A48-8C10-488F-B72E-21ADFEF75C76.jpeg
I thought to put this photo on the Mistakes and Otherwise thread but it's not a good example of what I was talking about. Or, if I hadn't already covered the roots, it would be. But, I don't want to pull these little guys up, now! The roots are about the same size and that was the reason for optimism. So ... I think that the Super Chili are fine, even though they are not nearly in as good of shape as those Anaheim.

Anyway, I'm going off to move some stretched tomatoes outta 4-packs and into 4" pots. The weather is still not cooperating for good plant growth but the furnace has been behaving itself and providing yeoman service :).

Hope things don't get outta hand with space and protection requirements. I'd really rather not set up the shed-attached hoop house. Too much time spent playing Mr. Builder ... with plastic film and lathe ... ;)

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Moved cool-season veggies like broccoli and kale out on the lawn. They are now covered with a hoopie.

There was frost this morning but I'm not worried about them. The WS predicted that frost after several days of rain. They are saying about 4 degrees warmer, tonight. Besides, those plants have been in the unheated hoop house for about a week, booted out of greenhouse warmth.

Now, there are frost-sensitive plants in the hoop house ..! So, 1 of the electric heaters and its fan buddy are stationed in the hoop house. It's comfortable in there but I've just turned the heat on. I hope to have an idea how the two of them are doing in about 30 more minutes ... Then, I can go to bed.

I have to go out and put a thermometer in there. Seems that I forgot to do that before I almost squeezed myself out of room. Shucks. I'm sleepy and that cold outdoor air will wake me up! Well, maybe it will give me confidence and I won't feel the need to be out there checking at 2am.

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dang thermometer and base are having problems with communication.

Better double up on them for awhile if'n I don't want to be going out twice a night to wet a finger and hold it up under the hoops.

Freezing in my neighborhood right now (wunderground) but Toby says 38°f under the deck roof. I think it's right at 50° in the hoop house. Greenhouse furnace is doing its job.

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, the hoopy, @thistlebloom ?

I will check them after sunrise.

No frost on anything in the yard.

Steve
shoulda looked again before i wrote that. frost on roofs. officially sunrise but the yard won't see it for nearly an hour

Last edited:

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Moved cool-season veggies like broccoli and kale out on the lawn. They are now covered with a hoopie.

There was frost this morning but I'm not worried about them. The WS predicted that frost after several days of rain. They are saying about 4 degrees warmer, tonight. Besides, those plants have been in the unheated hoop house for about a week, booted out of greenhouse warmth.

Now, there are frost-sensitive plants in the hoop house ..! So, 1 of the electric heaters and its fan buddy are stationed in the hoop house. It's comfortable in there but I've just turned the heat on. I hope to have an idea how the two of them are doing in about 30 more minutes ... Then, I can go to bed.

I have to go out and put a thermometer in there. Seems that I forgot to do that before I almost squeezed myself out of room. Shucks. I'm sleepy and that cold outdoor air will wake me up! Well, maybe it will give me confidence and I won't feel the need to be out there checking at 2am.

Steve
I need to put mine out, too. But with my cilantro getting eaten in my hoop house I am hesitant. I used to use my covered front porch for hardening off-I think that is what I will do.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
... use my covered front porch for hardening off-I think that is what I will do.
The onions are the only things out in the open, Cat'.

Night before last, I moved them under the deck roof. WS kinda missed it on this morning. Well, if an onion can't take it, I don't know what veggie can.

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
02DB7335-C83E-41FD-A158-EB1D548B85E4.jpeg
Hoopy broccoli, kale and such are fine ... a little drippy. Ya know, I just learned that there is some kind of treatment for plastic film to cut down on light-impeding condensation. Hmmm, I think that the greenhouse film has it. Not this other. It "rains" in the hoop house!

D5563A53-3711-44C7-A871-537C6252F3FB.jpeg
Tomatoes in larger pots are looking better. 18 to the flat instead of 48, helps. More for the pots, today.

Steve

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am also up potting the tomao plants. We had some light snow this morning and it will be below 30 tonight so no greenhouse yet. Tomorrow I will tackle the peppers.

up pot.jpg

Latest posts