coco fiber seedling tray

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am tired of always fighting, and hurting, my little seedlings while trying to transplant them into larger pots. I'd like to try coco fiber plug tray instead so I can just cut and plant. I see coco coils around, but not a simple tray of 5x4, or whatever, plugs.

Anyone know what I'm talking about and know where I can find them?

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Have you tried any on-line greenhouse supply places? What happens if you google "coco fiber plug tray"?

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Worm's Way carries coir with is the seed starting formula that is made of cocoa fiber. Try them. I use peat pots, 4X8 plastic pots. I do not up pot. I over seed and then thin the 4X8 to 6 plants.

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Have you tried any on-line greenhouse supply places? What happens if you google "coco fiber plug tray"?

@so lucky. I've looked locally and only find liners for windowsill pots (3' long). I have briefly looked around online and have only seen single 2-3" pots, not a tray yet. I had not used the exact wording of "coco fiber plug tray", but will see what that drums up next.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I started off looking far afield. A Canadian source for a Florida gardener but Vesey's does ship seed to the US. But, these are not small as what you must be looking for, @Sprinkler Buddy .

I think it is interesting what Vesey's says about their products: "Compared to peat, this line of Coir (coconut fiber) seed starting products has a higher resistance to mold, produces visibly better & faster plant growth and rehydrates easily requiring up to 30% less watering." If true, those are some common criticisms of peat.

Here are coir pellets at Peaceful Valley in California.

Steve

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I use the little Jiffy pop up pots, that i think are cocoa coir (maybe with other stuff too). They're compressed, then you soak them in water and they expand. I find them at all our local hardware stores. I like them for the same reason you mentioned, you can just transplant the whole thing into a larger pot when you see the roots growing out the bottom.

I'll see if i can find a link to the ones i usually get.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Check my link above, Heather.

They are, however,

... 50% more expensive.

Steve

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Worm's Way carries coir with is the seed starting formula that is made of cocoa fiber. Try them. I use peat pots, 4X8 plastic pots. I do not up pot. I over seed and then thin the 4X8 to 6 plants.

Thanks for the heads-up for Worm's Way. I'll see what they have, but I'm not really looking for stuff that expands and already has a seed mix in it.

That might actually be a good activity to do with one of my kids on a small scale, but not for over 100 plants. I'll probably get some supplies together to do this with my oldest though. Thanks :)

I started off looking far afield. A Canadian source for a Florida gardener but Vesey's does ship seed to the US. But, these are not small as what you must be looking for, @Sprinkler Buddy .

I think it is interesting what Vesey's says about their products: "Compared to peat, this line of Coir (coconut fiber) seed starting products has a higher resistance to mold, produces visibly better & faster plant growth and rehydrates easily requiring up to 30% less watering." If true, those are some common criticisms of peat.

Here are coir pellets at Peaceful Valley in California.

Steve

That would work, but I'm really not looking for the pellets. I took a look at Vesey quickly but didn't see anything that hit the mark

Latest posts