Coffe grounds as mulch for moisture control?

ccrecelius

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I am pretty new to gardening. My Grandma passed away and I have no one to answer my questions. I have never used compost. I would like to start a compost pile. What is good to go "in" and what needs to stay "out"?

chickhamm

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Brokedown, if its the papper filter, sure, toss it in to. I use a brown screen reusable filter, so dont have to worry about that.

chickhamm
Theressa
GA

Dace

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
ccrecelius said:
I am pretty new to gardening. My Grandma passed away and I have no one to answer my questions. I have never used compost. I would like to start a compost pile. What is good to go "in" and what needs to stay "out"?
ccrecelius- I am sorry about your grandma. There are a lot of very kind and very knowledgeable people here who are always happy to help. I am glad you found this site :)

In your compost pile you want to avoid dairy, meats & oily food items. Veggie and fruit trimmings, coffee grounds, weeds (not in seed), grass clipping, fireplace ash, coffee grounds, tea bags, egg shells, old leaves.

I am fairly new to composting, I am sure some one will come along with more info, but in the meantime you should Google 'how to start a compost pile'.

Dace

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I just have a small pile on the ground. Mine is kitchen scraps and bunny litter along with the occasional handful of weeds and garden rubbish.

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your grandma, I still miss mine, they are a wealth of information aren't they? So much useful knowlege about house and home.
I put my compost on a wood pallet. There are 4 pallets, one on the bottom and then the other 3 on 3 sides to enclose it a little. One side is left open to turn the compost over every so often. You can put another pallet on the front if you want and you can just wire it one and swing it open when you need to.
You don't need to put your compost on anything though, if you have a spot in the yard that you don't have to look at it you can just put it on the ground. Some people will put it behind a shed, some trees,etc.
Good luck with it.

Latest posts