Coffee

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I found a recipe and tried to copy the best I could with what I had. There was onions, celery, carrots, potatoes and I was surprised that even my brother liked it. I was in the other room and heard him when he came over and walked over to the stove and said to DS, Is this lentils??? Oh my gosh! LOL But he said he liked it and DS did too. I used chicken stock and green lentils. I think I read somewhere that root crops go well with lentils, but I agree about the carrots.

a lot of the spices from the middle east seem to go well with them to me: terragon, rosemary, oregano, basil... after they are mostly cooked i add tomato chunks.

at one time i was eating a lot of lentils and brown rice since they cooked in about the same time. very hearty and filling.

Mom doesn't like them, but she's ok with Adzuki beans - i don't get that, they're fairly similar in texture and taste to me. yum. :)

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Mom doesn't like them, but she's ok with Adzuki beans - i don't get that, they're fairly similar in texture and taste to me. yum. :)
I have much more "connections" with Adzuki beans, Mung beans, soybeans (as edamame), and young broad beans. Other beans DH used for Chili con Carne - I am also not a fan. :p

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am also not a fan. :p
Oh, no!

;) Broad beans just haven't worked for me. The plants burn up in the early July heat - I've tried twice.

Years ago, I tried mung beans but I can't imagine growing such a low yield garden crop.

DW has this "thing" about green beans and prefers the simplest of varieties. Fresh, green and tender - that's all that she is willing to eat.

Steve

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, no!

;) Broad beans just haven't worked for me. The plants burn up in the early July heat - I've tried twice.

Years ago, I tried mung beans but I can't imagine growing such a low yield garden crop.

DW has this "thing" about green beans and prefers the simplest of varieties. Fresh, green and tender - that's all that she is willing to eat.

Steve
DS had to have a certain brand of green beans in a can when he was younger. He would not eat frozen green beans and some can ones he could tell the difference. I started growing Cobra pole beans and that seemed to do the trick, but he is older now and he will eat dry beans of different kinds. He had a favorite I have not bought for awhile, pink beans. DD cooks green beans that are to me not done and she hates then tender.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Screenshot_20220422-063852_kindlephoto-802841566.png

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh, no!

Steve
I thought broad beans we’re supposed to be planted in early spring with the English peas?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Artichoke Lover ,

The broadbeans were planted early. However, we can go from frosts to scorching heat in about 6 weeks. They grew nicely flowered and were, essentially, shut down. Also, as they weakened, the aphids moved in on them.

I guess in some places that they can be planted for a fall crop. Although I plant snow peas during the last week of August, cold weather so slows their growth in late September and early October that they sometimes don't produce pods. I believe that they are about 2 weeks quicker than broadbeans.

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good Morning.

Four kinds of cold cereal in with the banana for a first breakfast! Breakfast is usually cereal, hot or cold. I often mix the cold but this must be a first time using 4. Feel like a kid!

:D DW buys and yet seldom eats cold cereal. Tooo many are toooo sweet and I don't like them by themselves.

Could be prompted by my little study of aging ;). I recently learned that the tissue in the orbitofrontal cortex part of the brain actually increases during normal aging. This is considered by some to be "counter-intuitive" since other parts of the brain shrink. Funny to see brain scientists thinking about their own intuition ;).

Okay, what do they  think that this part of the brain does? It is "thought to represent emotion, taste, olfaction and reward in decision making." (Wikipedia)

So. In normal aging, we may be putting more emphasis on personal judgment :). Dopamine plays some role here, it's said. But also, good vs not so good.

Some of these ideas are based on studying the results of damage to this part of the brain. Let's leave that aside ;).

In some ways, the strengthening of our thought processes in the personal column makes sense to me. Ciminently ... we have to be so conscious about just moving around so we don't twist an arthritic joint. Every task takes more effort - why not make some mental effort to make it more worthwhile?

:) Steve

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Artichoke Lover ,

The broadbeans were planted early. However, we can go from frosts to scorching heat in about 6 weeks. They grew nicely flowered and were, essentially, shut down. Also, as they weakened, the aphids moved in on them.

I guess in some places that they can be planted for a fall crop. Although I plant snow peas during the last week of August, cold weather so slows their growth in late September and early October that they sometimes don't produce pods. I believe that they are about 2 weeks quicker than broadbeans.

Steve
The problem with Broad Beans (as well as things like chickpeas and lentils) is that most of them are designed for an environment that most of us simply do not HAVE in the US, a Mediterranean climate where is stays semi warm enough that they can grow over the WINTER. Here, where most areas either have a winter cold enough to kill nearly anything non-perennial or a summer that is blazingly hot; too hot for these kinds of plants. They like it cool, but not cold, for a long time.

I think that is sort of the reason why the Peruvians so took to the broad bean, even though they had plenty of beans of their own. Broad beans LOVED the perpetual cool of the Andes, and produced like crazy.

I am sure there ARE broad beans that are much better adapted to handling a shorter cool season. After all, in the days before the introduction of New World beans by the Spanish, broad beans were the default bean for most of Europe, at least as far north as England (where it was getting cold enough in the winter during the Little Ice Age for the Thames to freeze over hard enough for them to put markets up on it.). But I imagine a lot of those types got chucked when the New World beans showed up and out produced them in those areas.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
As I read what everyone has with their coffee, I decided I must be a horse-IMO they are a pretty animal with very little overall purpose. As I drink coffee in AM, I have my bowl of oatmeal. Then for lunch, I eat a sandwich with whole wheat/oatmeal bread. For desert wide made a rhubarb crisp with OATMEAL. I eat as many oats as a horse. Also qualify as very little over all purpose but don’t resemble the pretty, so maybe not a horse. Goat?

Latest posts