Coffee

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
And, speaking of rascally critters, Benjamin Bunny ("2-5 litters per year...litter sizes average 4–6 kits") was in a large pvc pipe where we park the pickup during garden work. He hung out for about 15 minutes before making an escape much to tethered Garbanzo's frustration! (He would probably whip her if it came to a confrontation but there wouldn't be any backing down on her part, despite her small size and 12 years of age :).)

Steve
You make me wonder if Count Stinkula* is still residing under the neighbor's woodpile**. Not that I want to go and personally check if he is (he or she is a skunk after all, and, based on the aromas we sometimes smell, probably not a very even tempered one.)

I HAVE seen the fox a few times this year (I know it's the same one, since it always has the same missing patch of fur in the middle of its tail.)

Actually, it's been a while since I saw a LOT of our odder yard residents. Don't think I saw Hopper this year (an incredibly fat squirrel who wait combined with basically having no tail has caused him to adopt a rabbit like gait) or Pogo (the huge cross eyed*** opossum that used to get up onto our front stoop hoping we'd give it food.)

*we call him/her that because there is an abnormality with his/her fur pattern. Rather than going all the way down to the tip of the tail (as it should on a striped skunk, which is supposed to be the only kind we have around here.), his/her white stripe stops at the tail's base, so the tail is pure black. The two white stripes on the body have also merged into a single white patch which resembles a cape (hence the name).

**The neighbor's have never USED that woodpile (actually I'm not even sure of who put it there, so a skunk taking up permanent residence under it is perfectly feasible. And that always seem to be the direction it comes from.)

*** Actually, quite a few of the opossums around here have crossed eyes. Maybe it's an inbreeding thing.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oatmeal with cream cheese and brown sugar. Canned peaches ... seems like local strawberries should be available soon.

Much cooler, today. Surprised how sweaty i was yesterday after messing with shoveling compost in the 35mph wind. High 80's. I'd installed the air conditioner in the living room earlier after 90's on Monday and not enuf cooling off overnight. Won't need it today and it is still a bit breezy.

Have the big exhaust fan installed in a window but could turn it off anytime and close up the house. A little chilly. Warm weather arrived just about at a normal time after the cool Spring. However, we still had a 30°+ drop in temperature overnight. Let's see ... That's about a 20° drop on the Celsius scale. I will calculate some numbers today in anticipation of the One Year Anniversary of the all-time record Heat we had in 2021. Let's stay Normal in 2022!

Steve

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Electrician coming today to fix a few things around here. Got the back room addition torn down, the wire to the aerobic septic system was run through the rafters. It’s now laying on the concrete patio. Got to reset kitchen wall outlets. The wiring for the 2 wall ovens is stapled to the outside of the house. Not good. Electrician is going to install and wire vent a hood, but won’t vent it out the roof, so Chris will do that. Another step in the right direction. Also have 4 new window glass panes to replace broken windows.

Might close on new farm Friday or Tuesday!

Last edited:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
1656595420276.png

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Did not close on farm yesterday. When? Your guess is as good as mine.

Chris will work Monday, then gone the rest of the week for his daughter's softball tournaments, her team went to state competition. Thinking I'll have him meet me at the new farm and help unload the 600 T-posts off my flatbed trailer. That will be 5,700 pounds, a cardio workout! I need my trailer! I've got to get gates and big treated wooden posts for corner H braces and gate H braces.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Did not close on farm yesterday. When? Your guess is as good as mine.
Funny you should mention that. We were supposed to close on the house we are selling next Tuesday. Not going to happen, still waiting on the appraisal. Who knows when it comes in with the holidays.

That means I need to go over and cut the grass just in case the sale doesn't go through and we have to go back on the market. I'm not going to edge and trim this time though. It's hot and humid out there.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Ridgerunner , I have the trimming left for the backyard, also. Mowed a day early and will have to be out in 89° (32°C) sunshine because i skipped the task last week! DW has a healthcare appointment this morning. Who would have expected that those offices would have been open on a holiday weekend!

I've eaten the whole box of blueberry scones purchased on Thursday. But, I've had hot cereal with cranberries and a bananananana... for breakfast. It WAS a small box ... for the cookie monster ;).

More laundry to hang out. In this weather, it will be dry in about 10 minutes.

:) Steve

Latest posts