Coffee

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
That hefty vitamin is an important reason for me to eat breakfast. Unlikely to cause problems (altho, i could blame those on DW and Mom nagging me to take vitamins ;)).

I have to admit, an early morning schedule is easier to follow since there are fewer distractions. A B C ... are not so easily forgotten. Hecks Fire, the sun isn't up until 3+ hours after I am. How jazzed up for the day could be expected?

It's 41°f (5°C) this morning. Some of the laundry will have to go in the drier, no doubling up on the clothes line these days.

Steve
nice moon with Orion :)

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@baymule, I have never made Chicken Soup before. Family is going to try some soon, using my chicken stock.
What is/are your recipe(s)?

i'm obviously not @baymule, but here the way to start making chicken soup is to roast the chicken and eat what you want from that and then throw what's left in the pot with your other vegetables you want to cook with it and then wait until done. pick out what bones you don't want to eat and enjoy the rest. some people will cook the bones first and then pick out the meat and strain off the broth. we don't really bother. it's not something we do very often at all anyways these days. Mom likes the breast meat and i like the dark meat and the skin and then i feed all the rest to the worms. if i were here alone i'd roast a chicken myself from time to time as i prefer the spices i'd use to those that most of the quick cooked rotisserie chickens have put on them, but for $5 you really can't beat the price.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
My mom generally adds quite a bit of ginger to her chicken soup, as well as a lot of onions carrots and often celery.

Though, to be fair, ever since I introduced her to it, she has generally eschewed regular chicken soup increasingly in favor of making chikirtma (a Georgian chicken soup with a lot of eggs, lemon and herbs like dill in it), which is fine with me (she's actually gotten better at it than the restaurant I originally got the first serving from is.)

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@baymule, I have never made Chicken Soup before. Family is going to try some soon, using my chicken stock.
What is/are your recipe(s)?
I simmered the drumsticks, took them out and let them cool. I deboned the meat and gave the skin to the dogs. I put chicken back in the pot, sliced fresh mushrooms, because I had them and fresh spinach. Salt, garlic powder, ginger and got it good and hot.

Real easy and real good.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good morning! Coffee is ready. A storm came through at 2 AM. Didn't get much sleep after that. Finally gave up and got up at 5. Tree guy coming this morning to cut the dead tree at the yard and driveway. Only have 2 trees left in the yard now, they better keep on living!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good Morning. It's 38°f (3°C) and it's getting a little crazy :). The house temp is 64° (18C) and I'm comfortable as long as the exercise of feeding myself breakfast continues.

Reading about the SE of the US, Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama, and trying to understand how our first frost in 2022 may be later than country 14° Further South and 1500 feet Lower in elevation!

There is nothing dramatic happening here. No remnants of a hurricane, catastrophic flooding ... no rain! Even our records this-&-that are averages. The WS people may soon start talking about "latest frost ever" but it's all a slow slide.

Even the wind, which can upset things, the wind hasn't been very dramatic. In fact, it's a little turned around. Wind is usually from the SW but many of our Summer/Fall breezes are from the NE, this year. It's making things easier for me running sprinklers buuutt the 2022 garden is all but finished on it's own schedule. Or, my schedule of having varieties that mature crops 4-6 weeks earlier than mid-October.

Steve