Coffee

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wonder if Grandma Pearl made cornbread without wheat flour. I didn't have time around her enough to know.

There's a little bit of a myth in North America that European people traveled west and grew corn. Wheat was very much a part of their diets before arrival and more broadly adapted to the conditions that they were venturing into. It seems that it has only recently been learned that native people in this part of the West only grew tobacco. A crop not exactly necessary for survival.

@flowerbug , I was reading an abstract of a study on US food waste and the research showed how income was directly related. Low income means a good deal less waste. But, it still averaged out as above 30%. :oops:

Steve, trying to get through 3 large slices of French toast, two hours after rising and still two hours before the sun

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Anyone put collagen in their coffee besides me? This kind of coffee related if not I guess I just hijacked the thread! haha

Anyway, I've been taking collagen for several years for joint pain not that I have any. I put it in my morning coffee. I've tried several brands that are supposed to be tasteless but I can still taste it. Kind of a weird slight taste. I've tried putting it in my jasmine tea but the taste was more pronounced there so I only put it in my coffee.

Anyone else take collagen and notice a weird taste even though it says it is tasteless?

Mary

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tempting... but since I an trying to avoid gaining back the weight I've lost, "muffin" is a 4-letter word (in diet math). :lol:
I am tempted to make that pumpkin bread recipe, but I do not need to gain weight. I probably will make it for Christmas though and send home with DD.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Anyone put collagen in their coffee besides me? This kind of coffee related if not I guess I just hijacked the thread! haha

Anyway, I've been taking collagen for several years for joint pain not that I have any. I put it in my morning coffee. I've tried several brands that are supposed to be tasteless but I can still taste it. Kind of a weird slight taste. I've tried putting it in my jasmine tea but the taste was more pronounced there so I only put it in my coffee.

Anyone else take collagen and notice a weird taste even though it says it is tasteless?

Mary
What brand do you use/like?

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score

Mary
DD uses it and says it is tasteless. My brother uses it too but I am not sure what he thinks about the taste.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
right. i was allowing for all of that. :) just that i know Mom would turn her nose up at a simple corn meal based chunk of corn bread or a corn muffin made only with corn meal. i'd eat them all. i'm not a picky eater at all... (i'm getting to be more picky as i get older but that is because i can be, if i had to be i could revert to non-picky because i do remember what it was like growing up when food wasn't always easy or available. you ate what was put in front of you and you learned how to get more if you could other ways).
Same with me. As a kid we ate cornbread with cornmeal and we had cornmeal mush and we had fried mush with syrup. On the brand of cornmeal I buy there is a recipe for cornbread muffins and it has flour in it and sugar. There is another recipe that does not use as much sugar and I think no flour. My brother thinks the one with flour and sugar is too sweet, but my kids would not eat it without the flour and sugar. I can eat both.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wonder if Grandma Pearl made cornbread without wheat flour. I didn't have time around her enough to know.

There's a little bit of a myth in North America that European people traveled west and grew corn. Wheat was very much a part of their diets before arrival and more broadly adapted to the conditions that they were venturing into. It seems that it has only recently been learned that native people in this part of the West only grew tobacco. A crop not exactly necessary for survival.

@flowerbug , I was reading an abstract of a study on US food waste and the research showed how income was directly related. Low income means a good deal less waste. But, it still averaged out as above 30%. :oops:

Steve, trying to get through 3 large slices of French toast, two hours after rising and still two hours before the sun
I was just talking to DD about food waste this morning. DS and I made kale, sausage soup last night. I told him there was kale in the freezer and he looked and could not find it. I did not freeze much for the last 2 years and last summer DD had so much kale it was crazy and we were busy and did not get it froze. We used potatoes that I had cut up and blanched last summer because I had heard potatoes were going to be expensive and scarce so I dehydrated a bunch and froze some. I told her that we buy 10 pound sacks and with just 2 of us here we waste a bunch. I could take half that sack and blanch and freeze and use half a sack for fresh. DS said 5 pounds cost more than the 10 pound sack. DD and I both have a lot of flour and cornmeal and all the things we could make to go with meals and stretch our money. I have been watching old Gunsmoke shows since I have been not well and there is an episode of everybody getting scurvy because the drought and their gardens did not do well. It makes you see how important food is and cooking from scratch is healthy and also saves money and growing fresh food now days with these crazy prices is important.

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I was just talking to DD about food waste this morning. DS and I made kale, sausage soup last night. I told him there was kale in the freezer and he looked and could not find it. I did not freeze much for the last 2 years and last summer DD had so much kale it was crazy and we were busy and did not get it froze. We used potatoes that I had cut up and blanched last summer because I had heard potatoes were going to be expensive and scarce so I dehydrated a bunch and froze some. I told her that we buy 10 pound sacks and with just 2 of us here we waste a bunch. I could take half that sack and blanch and freeze and use half a sack for fresh. DS said 5 pounds cost more than the 10 pound sack. DD and I both have a lot of flour and cornmeal and all the things we could make to go with meals and stretch our money. I have been watching old Gunsmoke shows since I have been not well and there is an episode of everybody getting scurvy because the drought and their gardens did not do well. It makes you see how important food is and cooking from scratch is healthy and also saves money and growing fresh food now days with these crazy prices is important.
I love kale and sausage soup too, and we are fortunate that kale over-winters here so we can harvest it lightly even in December. It is nice to be able to grocery shop in the garden. :) With the price of produce at the moment we still buy sacks of potatoes and onions, but we only buy fresh fruits and vegetables when we have a plan for them, so we know they will be eaten. While we try not to waste food this change in shopping behaviour has been largely driven by high prices. A head of small, ugly Romaine lettuce has been as much as $5.99 at the grocery store lately.
I smiled when I read this blog from Quail Seeds, that says in tough times--'Learn to make soup.':
For us it comes down to how can we waste less of what we grow? That is definitely an area that we are going to try improve on next summer--perhaps by taking Jamie's suggestion and making more soup. Basically simmering vegetables in a crock pot and then freezing them in jars during the hot months when we don't want to be cooking over a hot stove, or turning on the oven. This would not be difficult, but it all takes time and time is a finite resource. So much ripens all at once; we often feel overwhelmed by the bounty and end up composting some of it.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hmmm... that melted cheese trick might be good with cornmeal, or the multi-grain/seed hot cereal I sometimes make. If butter goes great with grits, why not cheese?
The Stockyard Cafe in Elkhart, at the Anderson County cattle auction barn has a chef, not the usual greasy spoon diner open for auction day like most places. The Stockyard Cafe is open 7 days a week, breakfast through supper. It has become a destination restaurant. My very favorite there is the grilled shrimp over cheesy grits with toasted garlic French bread. Not to mention the fresh hot yeast rolls with cinnamon honey butter. :drool:drool:drool

So in answer to your question, Why not cheese? Absolutely YES! Cheesey grits are on the menu of some mighty fine southern restaurants. They have to be made from scratch, no frozen heat ‘em up stuff!

Last edited:

Latest posts