Coffee

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Went back for a chocolate chip cookie from a batch made yesterday ... :)

I was thinking how retired life makes some things apparent that might not be in the workaday life of younger people. Despite having extra time, I still function somewhat by the clock. My first order of business upon rising is to turn the kettle on but there may be a little extra effort, at times, to make broth for later meals. It takes very little time to do that with leftover beef or chicken bones, saved from an earlier meal. The veggies that go into it need so little prep because of the long cooking time and the fact that the bones and veggies will be discarded.

Later in the day or evening the broth plays an important role in something like soup or stew. Veggies can also be prepped ahead of time and the bowl with water and a little salt will keep them in good shape in the fridge for several hours.

63876AB3-6BA1-413E-9D20-E2C0E2017757.jpeg
Later:
6F1FEB54-F5D8-42ED-937B-6E5760BC61B4.jpeg

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Coffee is ready, on second cup. 41F now with high of 66F, sunny today-now that’s Texas winter weather I like! Therapy this morning, my last one will be February 1. I’m doing great with my knee, no pain! Y’all have a great day!
It sounds like you have a spring in your step today Baymule!

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Went back for a chocolate chip cookie from a batch made yesterday ... :)

I was thinking how retired life makes some things apparent that might not be in the workaday life of younger people. Despite having extra time, I still function somewhat by the clock. My first order of business upon rising is to turn the kettle on but there may be a little extra effort, at times, to make broth for later meals. It takes very little time to do that with leftover beef or chicken bones, saved from an earlier meal. The veggies that go into it need so little prep because of the long cooking time and the fact that the bones and veggies will be discarded.

Later in the day or evening the broth plays an important role in something like soup or stew. Veggies can also be prepped ahead of time and the bowl with water and a little salt will keep them in good shape in the fridge for several hours.

View attachment 54424
Later:
View attachment 54425
I like my routine during the week but the weekends DS likes to sleep in and then I will just to be quiet and I would have to get the fire going and too close to his room, so I would be making a lot of noise, but then my day seems off all day. I may start getting up and just not start a fire and stay in the office. I do not have my typing job any longer and I have been thinking of how I can cook better meals and the bone thing for broth you are doing is interesting. What bones do you use? I have heard of saving chicken bones for making broth after they have been cooked. I have always just started with raw chicken or raw beef bones. I did make soup with leftover chicken bones and I did not like the taste. Do you notice any difference in the taste? I usually do not have raw bones or a raw chicken to do this with, so using leftover bones sounds like a good idea. I would like to do more soups and make some bread. I am going shopping with DD Thursday and I am going to make some kind of sweet bread with raspberries and see if the granddaughters will eat it. I keep trying to give raspberries or blackberries to DD but she says nobody will eat them, so I am going to try some different recipes. I told DS that we have too much garden stuff not being used in the freezer and I need to use a bunch before a new garden is producing.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Coffee is ready, on second cup. 41F now with high of 66F, sunny today-now that’s Texas winter weather I like! Therapy this morning, my last one will be February 1. I’m doing great with my knee, no pain! Y’all have a great day!
Sounds like a great day! It is 35 here and going to be 39 with some rain. We have had rain the last few days and it has melted snow and ice and I was able to walk on actual dirt and grass around the side of the yard, but it is not a wide enough area to take the wheelbarrow. I need to put some rabbit bedding in the compost barrels, but pretty soon I will be able to start cleaning the yard and working outside some.

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I like my routine during the week but the weekends DS likes to sleep in and then I will just to be quiet and I would have to get the fire going and too close to his room, so I would be making a lot of noise, but then my day seems off all day. I may start getting up and just not start a fire and stay in the office. I do not have my typing job any longer and I have been thinking of how I can cook better meals and the bone thing for broth you are doing is interesting. What bones do you use? I have heard of saving chicken bones for making broth after they have been cooked. I have always just started with raw chicken or raw beef bones. I did make soup with leftover chicken bones and I did not like the taste. Do you notice any difference in the taste? I usually do not have raw bones or a raw chicken to do this with, so using leftover bones sounds like a good idea. I would like to do more soups and make some bread. I am going shopping with DD Thursday and I am going to make some kind of sweet bread with raspberries and see if the granddaughters will eat it. I keep trying to give raspberries or blackberries to DD but she says nobody will eat them, so I am going to try some different recipes. I told DS that we have too much garden stuff not being used in the freezer and I need to use a bunch before a new garden is producing.
I always have made broth for my chicken soup and stews starting with raw chicken pieces. I rarely have bones laying around to boil for broth except at Thanksgiving.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Looks like the Balducci's near me carries the same brand of navels, so I'll probably have a steady supply for the winter (provided I'm willing to pay the vast amount Balducci's is likely to CHARGE for them.

H-mart had some more normal "sized" sumo's (the one's I got before were sort of small, and there are now bagged ones that are downright tiny.) so I picked up four of the fugliest (I wanted to make sure I could tell them from the navels in the same basket).

speaking of fugly, I suppose the ugli fruit will be showing up soon. At some point (since I am lucky enough to have an early furocoumarin reaction that is detectable by NOT dangerous), I should get one, eat a TINY bit of it, and see if it's grapefruit ancestry does or does not include producing them (they certainly never TASTED like grapefruit if you got a decent one, but who knows.)

Latest posts