Coffee

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
What bones do you use?
Certainly, any bones that are in roasted meat also take on some of the flavor of the roast. That adds something to a broth.

I'm a lazy broth maker and believed the cook books that tell us 90 minutes is sufficient cooking time. If the bones are already cooked, it especially makes sense and the only other step is tossing in the veggies about half way through. Strained, bagged and frozen, it's available when you need it :).

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Certainly, any bones that are in roasted meat also take on some of the flavor of the roast. That adds something to a broth.

I'm a lazy broth maker and believed the cook books that tell us 90 minutes is sufficient cooking time. If the bones are already cooked, it especially makes sense and the only other step is tossing in the veggies about half way through. Strained, bagged and frozen, it's available when you need it :).

in all of my cooking i can't recall ever in my life making broth intentionally to save it and put it up for later. it's always just been part of the whole process of making the soup or stew or whatever.

i guess teas are as close as i get to this idea. :)

in recent years of cooking Mom is not into making soups with leftover carcasses or bones unless it is ham and bean soup and in the past few years she's been cutting the meat off the leftovers/bones before putting it in the soup. i think she doesn't want to go through the hassle of having to pick the bones out when it's done and she doesn't want to cook it before. which is all understandable to me.

i've always been willing to cook it all together and just eat around whatever bones/etc. might be in there.

some year perhaps i'll do a full attempt at broth and strain it. but i suspect it won't be any time soon. :)

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I keep trying to give raspberries or blackberries to DD but she says nobody will eat them, so I am going to try some different recipes.
Our friend Beth makes the easiest and most delicious fruit crisp combining frozen raspberries and blackberries, and it has become a family favourite. Use any fruit or combination of fruit, either fresh or frozen (apples, rhubarb, peaches, plums, raspberries, blackberries).

6 cups ripe berries or fresh fruit
1 cup flour
½ cup sugar (as desired)
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp vanilla (or if using peaches—almond extract)
½ cup melted butter
1 T. Demerara sugar (optional)
**Place fruit in the bottom of a baking dish. Mix together dry ingredients; add beaten egg and vanilla. Combine well with a fork or fingertips until crumbles form. Sprinkle the flour mixture over the fruit, doing your best to get the flour mixture right to the edges. Drizzle the melted butter evenly over the top. Sprinkle with Demerara sugar, if you have some. Bake at 375F for 35-45 minutes or until bubbling in the centre. Good with ice cream!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
@Gardening with Rabbits, I have spent the last year Making broth. Despite some recipes, broth takes days to cook down leftover bones, either by themselves or with old vegetables that are past it but not rotten. They add flavor.
The longer you cook the bones, the more marrow you cook out of them and they more flavor you get.
When DD made a lamb arm roast Sunday, she suspended the roast and the drippings were sparse.
I added only one pint of lamb broth that I had made, added some whipping cream and flour.
It was "TOO DIE FOR!" gravy, so flavorful and sweet.
IF I had just used water, it wouldn't have tasted as good, even though the meat was outstanding.
As you have read, I have a dedicated broth crock pot. I will start broth on a Tuesday and sometimes pressure can it on the next Friday, and SOMETIMES I start the bones again for a weaker version just for the dogs. It works, too.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I raise Cornish Cross meat chickens each year. After processing, cutting and vacuum sealing the meat, I boil the bones for broth. Then I can it. I cook with that broth, I substitute it for water in rice, beans, soup, or just a cup of hot broth with fresh ginger and garlic for a sore throat.

@ducks4you i like the crockpot idea, but I usually have so many that it would take too long , so the bones go in a couple of big pots to simmer.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm in the lazy broth maker group. I throw bones, wings, an any leftover bits into my biggest crockpot and let it go for a day... sometimes 2 if I get busy & can't deal with it right away.
If I have time, I let it cool to skim the fat, if not then I skip that part and just pour it through a strainer and into jars to can.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our friend Beth makes the easiest and most delicious fruit crisp combining frozen raspberries and blackberries, and it has become a family favourite. Use any fruit or combination of fruit, either fresh or frozen (apples, rhubarb, peaches, plums, raspberries, blackberries).

6 cups ripe berries or fresh fruit
1 cup flour
½ cup sugar (as desired)
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp vanilla (or if using peaches—almond extract)
½ cup melted butter
1 T. Demerara sugar (optional)
**Place fruit in the bottom of a baking dish. Mix together dry ingredients; add beaten egg and vanilla. Combine well with a fork or fingertips until crumbles form. Sprinkle the flour mixture over the fruit, doing your best to get the flour mixture right to the edges. Drizzle the melted butter evenly over the top. Sprinkle with Demerara sugar, if you have some. Bake at 375F for 35-45 minutes or until bubbling in the centre. Good with ice cream!
I think I am going to make that today. DD and kids are coming over tomorrow and I can try it out on them and see what they think. This looks good! Thank you!

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Gardening with Rabbits, I have spent the last year Making broth. Despite some recipes, broth takes days to cook down leftover bones, either by themselves or with old vegetables that are past it but not rotten. They add flavor.
The longer you cook the bones, the more marrow you cook out of them and they more flavor you get.
When DD made a lamb arm roast Sunday, she suspended the roast and the drippings were sparse.
I added only one pint of lamb broth that I had made, added some whipping cream and flour.
It was "TOO DIE FOR!" gravy, so flavorful and sweet.
IF I had just used water, it wouldn't have tasted as good, even though the meat was outstanding.
As you have read, I have a dedicated broth crock pot. I will start broth on a Tuesday and sometimes pressure can it on the next Friday, and SOMETIMES I start the bones again for a weaker version just for the dogs. It works, too.
I have gone as far as cooking in a crockpot all day and overnight making broth from beef bones. With chicken I just usually start in the morning with a whole chicken and vegetables and cook all day until evening and then make soup. I think what you are doing is the right way to do it and it is a healthy way to eat.