Coffee

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
If I was to sleep when it was light, it would work fine during the Summer. At this parallel of latitude, sunrise and sunset are officially almost exactly 8 hours apart on solstice.

Unfortunately, they are 8 hours apart over daylight hours during the Winter. Sixteen hours of darkness! I noticed just a little change during a somewhat sunny day this week. Yeah, it's been cloudy. Moreover, those official times are with a level horizon and there is a mountain 3,000 feet higher than my home not very far away ...

When I lived in the cabin in the sticks for 4 years, I was even closer to mountains on both sides. Additionally, I didn't have electricity and relied on kerosene lamps. I don't know how our ancestors did it! Those lamps were a torment on my eyes! One thing I do not miss about that experience ...

During Summer, I still tend to be up before sunrise. Gotta make use of that electricity :D. It's also a habit from years. I only once had an office job, dealing with the public, 9 to 5 sorta thing. It's okay. My nightlife might be at 2 and 3 in the "morning." I no longer have any good reason to be up that early but still find myself doing it, often.

And here I sit, taking advantage of my charged up tablets ... Crazy. I migrated away from the desktop for the early AM almost as soon as Amazon's Fire showed up. Brought in a 2nd Fire. Still have the first. Then a larger one and a "big" Fire shows up as a gift but never needed it. DW loved her Samsung and when it failed just had to buy another. Unfortunately, sorta, she used the bigger Fire for a couple of weeks prior. There the new Samsung sits, unused, while the Fire runs hours each day.

The tower PC can't really be trusted these days. Not only is it slow but it has trouble with updates and the company, unbidden, notified me that the 12± year old machine no longer has replacement parts being made. So ... I no longer trust it for bill paying and such.

No worries - had a new, inexpensive HP all-in-one. Don't like that it had to sit on a little wheeled desk to move it to & out of the lazyboy location but, it was okay. Easy to push around ... then, hardware failure! Not to worry Dad, DD says. I've got one just like that I never use anymore. (She works from home, has 2 BIG screens and I don't know what all on her desk. Okay. Then this iPad shows up at Christmas!!!

TEG servers must hate me. There ain't no tellen which device they might have to recognize when i show up here ... (altho, I gotta admit that it's nice to have the bluetooth back for texting with the iPhone connection ;).)

Steve

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
DS built a computer for himself last summer and he is going to redo my computer and make it faster, which to me it is already fast enough for what I do. We have 4 desks in this office, big desks. When DD got married I turned her desk into my sewing desk but DH's desk still has a computer and printer. DS figured out how we can print from our computers without having to email things over to DH's computer that is hooked to the printer, so he is going to shut down DH's computer and I will have even more sewing room. Sometimes I would love to have a laptop or even a cell phone, so that i can do things from the living room. I still have the phone with a cord but now also have a cordless phone I can carry around with me with the speaker on and listen to my friend in Kansas talk while I do things. I can even put it in my pocket and take it out when I feed the rabbits. She as health issues now and living alone and sits a lot, so she likes to talk.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I made the blackberry crisp and I think it is wonderful and ate too much. DS said it was okay and ate some, but he does not like blackberries. I gave half of it to DD and family and she said it was good, but needed ice cream. I will ask her today if her husband liked it. I think if she put a little ice cream on it the girls might eat it, but I am going to make another one. I have got to use things in the freezer before summer. I used a bunch of tomatoes the other day making a tomato and rice soup and that was good. DS made vegetable soup last night and used more tomatoes and some green beans from the freezer. DD said she will take some squash. I went shopping with her and the kids yesterday. I got my exercise at Costco and Fred Meyer's pushing a cart with food and with the baby who now weighs over 20 pounds and is not quite 5 months old. He is very tall and wearing 12 month size in some things. Carrying him around and playing with him is something else. DD must be very strong carrying him up and down the stairs. I took out old rabbit bedding and I have it in a barrel and I need to get it over to the compost bins.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
DS built a computer for himself last summer and he is going to redo my computer and make it faster, which to me it is already fast enough for what I do. We have 4 desks in this office, big desks. When DD got married I turned her desk into my sewing desk but DH's desk still has a computer and printer. DS figured out how we can print from our computers without having to email things over to DH's computer that is hooked to the printer, so he is going to shut down DH's computer and I will have even more sewing room. Sometimes I would love to have a laptop or even a cell phone, so that i can do things from the living room. I still have the phone with a cord but now also have a cordless phone I can carry around with me with the speaker on and listen to my friend in Kansas talk while I do things. I can even put it in my pocket and take it out when I feed the rabbits. She as health issues now and living alone and sits a lot, so she likes to talk.
I am very seriously thinking about a third machine just for the house. His, Hers, and Its PC. No crosstalk that way. Something more like a server, with a household virtual private network. A home email address, etc. Something accessible by the various phones, a private backup for pictures and such. Of course that will freak out the electrical plugs probably but they should be quiet.

Last edited:

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I made the blackberry crisp and I think it is wonderful and ate too much. DS said it was okay and ate some, but he does not like blackberries. I gave half of it to DD and family and she said it was good, but needed ice cream. I will ask her today if her husband liked it. I think if she put a little ice cream on it the girls might eat it, but I am going to make another one. I have got to use things in the freezer before summer. I used a bunch of tomatoes the other day making a tomato and rice soup and that was good. DS made vegetable soup last night and used more tomatoes and some green beans from the freezer. DD said she will take some squash. I went shopping with her and the kids yesterday. I got my exercise at Costco and Fred Meyer's pushing a cart with food and with the baby who now weighs over 20 pounds and is not quite 5 months old. He is very tall and wearing 12 month size in some things. Carrying him around and playing with him is something else. DD must be very strong carrying him up and down the stairs. I took out old rabbit bedding and I have it in a barrel and I need to get it over to the compost bins.
So glad that you enjoyed the crisp. You are so busy-- you must be exhausted by the end of your day!

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Saturday is my day to splurge on food. Fresh made biscuits with butter and blackberry jam, fresh coffee, sausage & sausage gravy. Grapefruit juice to start.
I understand. I just suddenly developed a need to make ravioli. Well -pasta of all types really. Searching out 00 flour on Saturday morning has odd behavior written all over it.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've made raviolis several times before. They turned out just fine! Time consuming and DW isn't much of a fan.

She wanted a "noodle maker" of some sort. I came across it on a shelf the other day. Been there I don't know how many years - Never Used Once.

Oh well, I better clean up and be heading off to the Asian store this morning. What do you bet, she buys some noodles in there ;).

Steve

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've made raviolis several times before. They turned out just fine! Time consuming and DW isn't much of a fan.

She wanted a "noodle maker" of some sort. I came across it on a shelf the other day. Been there I don't know how many years - Never Used Once.

Oh well, I better clean up and be heading off to the Asian store this morning. What do you bet, she buys some noodles in there ;).

Steve
Oh my girl is a noodle queen, but i think I have to fool her as to where the noodles are being made.
Thats okay, i like a soft environment in which to hold my bride. She wants to be bossy, but only so much.

Latest posts