Coffee

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm okay with not wearing boots in recent years. Cleared walkways, even if it has to be me doing that clearing. I can imagine myself in deep snow – every second step, I'd pitch forward like a swimmer entering a pool. Now, imagine me in a muddy coral ...

🙃 Cornbread and baked beans, @Country Homesteader :). I have a question about baked beans. It's sort of a backburner idea – does anyone use a microwave? Maybe it's more of an off the wall idea; not worth setting it out on the counter. Sure, I'm okay with tabling it. But, something @flowerbug said recently made me think of the possibility. I'm always curious and sometimes disappointed in making more use of the microwave, especially in the heat of Summer.

Steve, where it was 91°f (32°C) Saturday & who suffered waiting until noon to mow the lawn.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm okay with not wearing boots in recent years. Cleared walkways, even if it has to be me doing that clearing. I can imagine myself in deep snow – every second step, I'd pitch forward like a swimmer entering a pool. Now, imagine me in a muddy coral ...

🙃 Cornbread and baked beans, @Country Homesteader :). I have a question about baked beans. It's sort of a backburner idea – does anyone use a microwave? Maybe it's more of an off the wall idea; not worth setting it out on the counter. Sure, I'm okay with tabling it. But, something @flowerbug said recently made me think of the possibility. I'm always curious and sometimes disappointed in making more use of the microwave, especially in the heat of Summer.

i don't think it would be a great idea to put the baked beans in a microwave to cook but all the rest of the ingredients can be cooked in the microwave and the sauce and then put in with the baked beans.

i'm pretty sure in terms of efficiency the microwave we have would use more electricity for the time it takes to get beans cooked because it runs the fan constantly when it is on even if the power level is set as low as it can go whereas the stove simmer doesn't use any fan at all.

Steve, where it was 91°f (32°C) Saturday & who suffered waiting until noon to mow the lawn.

Mom starts mowing as soon as she can get out there which means a lot of dew on the grass. she doesn't care. i'm the backup mower so when she gets done what she wants to do i take over and finish the hard parts she can't do plus the area to the south.

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Please tell us which you prefer, Dahlia.

I have almond milk in the fridge every day. (You know, I actually prefer soymilk in coffee.) I tried rice milk once – insipid, IMO. I've never used oat milk.

My electric grinders are worn out ...

@Gardening with Rabbits , my one volunteer (in a good place and is the only one of 3, I think it is, with green fruit) is obviously a Porters. Those are listed as an 80 day tomato. They are supposed to be well adapted to Texas and, for an 80 day, always ripen and do well for me. That they look like a paste is misleading. They would probably fit in as an heirloom saladette. It would surprise me if I have ripe fruit from it as a volunteer, however.

Have just finished my afternoon coffee 🙂.
It totally depends on the brand. There are some oat milks that are amazing taste wise, but are full of linoleic acid. Go look up linoleic acid and what it does to your health! Yikes! There are other oat milks that are less creamy (no linoleic acid) but in my opinion are still quite good. I like a good quality almond milk best I think. Sometimes they mix in coconut milk with the almond milk and still have healthy ingredients and I like that a lot in my coffee too! I would just drink milk, but it makes my stomach hurt! 😔

Country Homesteader

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
monday-happy.gif

Whatever you are looking for for your wake up cup on this beautiful 62 morning is right next to the coffee pot then let's head out to the patio and enjoy the birds greeting this morning. I'm on my 2nd cup, got laundry sorted and started, trash out for pickup, dishes organized and set to get done here in a few (would use the dishwasher but still waiting for it to get fixed).
I can believe that it's been almost a year since we bought this house. Where did the time go?????
IMG_20230917_183646.jpg

Last night's dinner- "Apple Pie" Baked Beans, SMOKED Boston Butt (pulled pork with Kentucky Bourbon BBQ sauce on hamburger bun), Cornbread muffin and SMOKED Mac & Cheese.

I like a good quality almond milk
Yes, a good quality almond milk good. I prefer Almond Breeze Almond Milk over any other brand especially SILK Almond Milk :sick. I just don't like almond milk in my coffee but when I have cereal and a glass of "milk" that's what I use. Regular milk bothers me and if I'm lucky enough to have "COWS MILK- straight from a farmer" it's a no go for sure seeing how it bothers my stomach very very much.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good Morning. Cream of Rice in the bowl with cranberries and brown sugar. Green grapes with plenty of Crenshaw melon from the fridge. I'm trying the dried, homegrown mint and it is fine after a 30 minute steep with store bought licorice root and cranberries ☕.

The mint tends to overpower other flavors. I'm thinking how I might tone it down and the anise hyssop rather than the licorice on a previous morning seems a step in the right direction. Still, I will be pleased to return to the flavor realm of lemon & licorice with a little fruity sweetness. I know, silly self indulgence ;).

The neighbors' motion detection light isn't shining in our kitchen window with its blinding brilliance this AM. That is likely because they have pulled the plug on the unpleasant thing because the wind is tossing around the branches of trees above their driveway. It's almost comical what they have been willing to put up with at times.

The wind will keep me home from the big veggie garden, today. A primary reason to show up is to run the sprinklers and, today, the water would be blowing into ... let's see ... 🌬️ Alberta. Red Flag Warning for wildfires :hide. I hope people are paying attention!

Country Homesteader

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
70137b49d1986344d24441f92685eed7.jpg

It's all by the coffee pot grab a cup then let's head to the patio to enjoy the crisp 55 morning air. I'm on my 2nd cup!!!
FH lunch all packed, meat taken out for tonight's dinner- chicken wings (I'm going to smoke them later after I marinate and season them). Waiting on FH to get up but looks like I have to go wake him.

Latest posts