Coffee

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Coffee is ready y'all. I have a couple coming to look at sheep this morning at 8AM. I don't have any for sale, but they want to come and are all excited, so ok, come on. I met the husband at the feed store and he texted me that night. Wife is all excited to find someone with Katahdin sheep.

I'm going to Tyler or maybe Jacksonville today to find 20' nylon slings to lift the 500 gallon fuel tank with. Northern tool doesn't have any, Harbor Freight in Tyler has limited supply, I'll have to call. If they don't have 2 of them, then I'll call the Jacksonville store, internet says they have plenty. I won't set the tank back on the stand in Groveton, nor will I fill it up. I'll wait until I find my home, then get it set up and filled up. I have a diesel tractor, diesel mule and of course a diesel truck, but have always been very sparing in filling the truck up from it. It sure beats hauling 5 gallon cans around. I'll set some concrete blocks so it isn't laying on the ground. Oh the joys of moving!
After reading this I want to go back to bed 😴💤

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Stop with all this, you're giving me ideas :clap:lol:
What a wonderful way to deal with one's enemies :plbb
They actually got even MORE on the nose with this in the movie. In one of the other songs, there is a fantasy sequence in Frodo's mind of what life will be like AFTER he completes the quest. It's all bucolic and peaceful. Eventually you get to a scene of him and Sam sitting in a field, under a tree, smoking their pipes. Then all of a sudden two orcs come down the road. Frodo waves to them, and they wave back, and SMILE.
In comparison, when they show Sam's temptation by the ring (outside Cirith Ungol), they show him using it's power to turn all of the orcs into animals.
And to finish off this kick, mention should be made of another great adaptation, the 1980's BBC radio version, which featured an all star cast (fun fact, the person who played Frodo in the radio adaptation, Ian Holme, is the same person who played Bilbo in the Peter Jackson movie.)

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
European Starlings are highly invasive in the US and cause crop damage and lots of other problems. Because of this it’s legal and even recommended in some areas to kill adult birds and destroy nests if found.
Wonder how starling eggs taste? They're about the right size to sub in for quail eggs.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
opals are so beautiful. a simple life would also be digging for those in a very crazy hot place. no thanks. i will admire them from afar. :)
Well, you could always go the route some of the people in Coober Peby go and actually DIG YOUR HOME OUT in the opal fields. Underground, I understand it's quite cool and comfortable. Plus, if your lucky, every time you dig out more to expand your house you find enough opal to pay for the addition!

I will also point out that there ARE places in the world with opal that are NOT super hot (it's not like Australia has a monopoly on the stuff). Hungary has opal I think (thought they may be tapped out after a few millennia of digging). The southwest and Mexico has opal (but those are, again sort of hot.) There's a big hot new deposit in Welo, Ethiopia that is threating to actually SUPPLANT Australia (thought that is not only hot it's halfway down a VERY steep cliff, so you have to be able to rappel as well as mine.)

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
My Ace Hardware had coupons and their branded 20 lb bags were on sale alot. So I stocked up. I have enough until May, when I stop feeding all of them.

The da** starlings fight them for the food.
I am going to Ace this weekend and will check out the birdseed. I guess that is why I quit feeding too. The starlings grab on to these little bird feeders and swing upside down and spill seed all over. Adding, not sure if starlings or what they are. I think there are 2 kinds of blackbirds. I called them grackles, but I think they are starlings.

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, you could always go the route some of the people in Coober Peby go and actually DIG YOUR HOME OUT in the opal fields. Underground, I understand it's quite cool and comfortable. Plus, if your lucky, every time you dig out more to expand your house you find enough opal to pay for the addition!

that was the place i was referencing... :)

I will also point out that there ARE places in the world with opal that are NOT super hot (it's not like Australia has a monopoly on the stuff). Hungary has opal I think (thought they may be tapped out after a few millennia of digging). The southwest and Mexico has opal (but those are, again sort of hot.) There's a big hot new deposit in Welo, Ethiopia that is threating to actually SUPPLANT Australia (thought that is not only hot it's halfway down a VERY steep cliff, so you have to be able to rappel as well as mine.)

no plans on moving. i need green stuff and water.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
You hunt them ?

i've only got one in all the years here, so i can't say they're around much or pests, but yes, i did hunt that one. if others show up i will hunt them too. same as grackles. otherwise we get way too many of them. even with my hunting we have a small flock around and in the past there's been a big flock around. you don't want to see what a mess they make of things.

we ignored them for the first few years they started using the trees as nests and that was a big mistake because once they are fixated on a place they will not go away even if you scare them off repeatedly.

they only became a problem when the trees got tall enough. so of course instead of hunting them some day i daydream of cutting down the trees and going back to open area views again. it is a bit windier and exposed but i do miss being able to see the sunsets right on the horizon and the trees are starting to block the light from the gardens. of course, i'm kidding, i won't cut down all the trees. the deer and rabbits are eating them instead.

Latest posts