Coffee

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Is it OK to gently twist this thread from a discussion about coffee and tea into a regular coffee/tea drinkers group of the fine folks we have here?
Sure okay with me :).

I am something of an opportunity drinker. Whatever is available :D.

The one "tea" that is available on the soopermarket/health food store shelves that I've tried and really do not like is Rooibos. Don't understand how people like that!

@Alasgun has one of my favorites to use in combination: Anise Hyssop. With Lemon Verbena about 50:50, it's delightful! The plants make plentiful seeds and the tractor guy was completely unable to kill their reseeding. That is all finished after that part of the property was sold.

I'm just finishing my second cup of Oolong and it's late enough in the day that it's almost time for a 3rd! How's that for self-indulgent?

Steve

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
For 48 years, I've started my mornings with a cup of black tea with a splash of milk. Any cheap stuff would do, until the last few years. Now I still buy the big boxes, but have switched to a better brand (NOT Lipton!!). Gift me a small box of English Breakfast or something fancy, and I'm in heaven!

I have coffee about an hour later. My physician, who is almost a DO, wants me to drink a cup of Raspberry Leaf tea every afternoon. I was but fell out of the habit. Need to get back to that now that the weather is changing.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Sure okay with me :).

I am something of an opportunity drinker. Whatever is available :D.

The one "tea" that is available on the soopermarket/health food store shelves that I've tried and really do not like is Rooibos. Don't understand how people like that!
+100!
@Alasgun has one of my favorites to use in combination: Anise Hyssop. With Lemon Verbena about 50:50, it's delightful! The plants make plentiful seeds and the tractor guy was completely unable to kill their reseeding. That is all finished after that part of the property was sold.

I'm just finishing my second cup of Oolong and it's late enough in the day that it's almost time for a 3rd! How's that for self-indulgent?
I have a lot of Oolong here in my pantry. It's a very common gift among friends. Every year, when it's the season of orange (from Spain), I will make the marmalade with specific Oolong - Oriental Beauty.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
+100!

I have a lot of Oolong here in my pantry. It's a very common gift among friends. Every year, when it's the season of orange (from Spain), I will make the marmalade with specific Oolong - Oriental Beauty.

when i was drinking swamp water (as i called it because i made it from loose leaf teas floating in hot water that would steep as long as it took me to drink it plus a few moments) i liked how mellow Oolong was and had a large can of it around all the time, but it just got me way too wired and i backed off drinking teas. i had a nice collection of various flavors to wander through as the mood would take me.

one really strong tea was called Morning Thunder and i would describe the flavor to me as "Used Rubber Adhesive Coated Bandages". but yes, it sure did wake you up! :)

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Originally, red raspberry leaf tea was found that it was good for pregnant women. Since I'm 20 years beyond that possibility, he wanted me to brew a cup a day for my 20 years of hot flashes. (I reviewed his notes in My Chart from last December).

Ashwagandha 800-1300mg/day - this is an adaptogen herb that will boost the immune system, helps with stress/anxiety and depression by allowing you to more effectively adapt to the environment. You should also notice a boost in energy and mood. - you can purchase it at most grocery or health food stores (look in the organic or vitamin section). - take it daily for at least 3 months to get the full effect and then continue daily.
Red Raspberry leaf tea daily for Hot flashes and hormones
Evening Prime Rose Oil 4 grams/day for hormones and hot flashes

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
when i was drinking swamp water (as i called it because i made it from loose leaf teas floating in hot water that would steep as long as it took me to drink it plus a few moments) i liked how mellow Oolong was and had a large can of it around all the time, but it just got me way too wired and i backed off drinking teas. i had a nice collection of various flavors to wander through as the mood would take me.

one really strong tea was called Morning Thunder and i would describe the flavor to me as "Used Rubber Adhesive Coated Bandages". but yes, it sure did wake you up! :)
Well, Tie Guanyin (Iron Goddess of Mercy) is a KIND of oolong, and is noted for it's high caffeine content. Maybe Morning Thunder is a type of that.

Personally the strongest tea I have come in contact with is the Kenyan black stuff that Ajiri tea has. At the super strength version I used to make (20 tea bags in a pitcher of water) that would actually give me jaw tremors! (and I'm nearly caffeine immune.)

@Phaedra Geiermann we may be talking different teas, but I thought Oriental Beauty was classified as a "pu-er" tea, a tea that had been cave aged. I have never liked pu-ers (to me, they taste moldy) but that is me.

My "day to day tea" (which technically is my week to week, as I only drink it on Saturday nights) is Foojoy's Tie Guanyin bags. When I can get (and afford it) I drink high end rare oolongs and blacks ( I have a box of Mian Dian 1000 year old tree coming to me this week, I think."

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Apparently, there is a time limit on editing a post including the title, @ninnymary . I've exceeded it.

Didn't know that there was anything therapeutic about Raspberry Leaf tea. But, how about for me?

You know what using some nice raspberry leaves for tea results in? A drink that tastes like raspberries :).

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, Tie Guanyin (Iron Goddess of Mercy) is a KIND of oolong, and is noted for it's high caffeine content. Maybe Morning Thunder is a type of that.

i don't think it was as strong as it could have been, but it was such an odd taste i'll not forget it and the last time i had it was longer than 30yrs ago.

Personally the strongest tea I have come in contact with is the Kenyan black stuff that Ajiri tea has. At the super strength version I used to make (20 tea bags in a pitcher of water) that would actually give me jaw tremors! (and I'm nearly caffeine immune.)

that would do very bad things to me. i've lost whatever tolerance i had for caffiene as about all i get now is from chocolate and the once in a while bit of very weak coffee or some coke. complete wimp now. but i sleep so much better.

reminds me of a friend from work from many years ago who drank coffee before he went to bed because he felt it helped him get up in the morning. i just shook my head. he was pretty hyper. a good boss. :)

Latest posts