Coffee

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm having cream of wheat for breakfast, this morning :). Galia melon on the side. There are raisins in the cereal. I recently purchased 3 big bags of raisins - probably foolishly because I'll likely eat them all myself. Still, I don't know the "shelf life" of raisins but it must extend thru the Fall and Winter.

from personal experience raisins can be rescued even from years of neglect. soaked in booze, or soaked in water, for some reason Mom uses a bit of baking soda when she makes Boston Brown Bread. i've never made it myself but will perhaps some day when i have to and have some old raison de' whatever...

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
from personal experience raisins can be rescued even from years of neglect. soaked in booze, or soaked in water, for some reason Mom uses a bit of baking soda when she makes Boston Brown Bread. i've never made it myself but will perhaps some day when i have to and have some old raison de' whatever...
I really like the sound of your mother, you are so lucky :thumbsup

Last edited:

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@baymule ”healthy food, lots of vegetables and an active lifestyle puts us, as a group, way out in front of the majority.”

Agree 100%. Pains me to see son eat so many meals fast food and he’s put on 60+. He & his wife just don’t cook at home. When they do, a lot of starch. He is starting to fight health issues due to that. Don’t say anything as it’s of no value.
I have exactly the same problem and they only dismis everything I suggest :(

Tin soup for a lady carrying a baby made me cringe :(
Nothing they say they eat sounds at all healthy.

I can be dumb and eat garbage but I always try too make up for my abuse with healthy foods such as fruits and vegetables and my faithful lemon water

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We are products of our parent's diets, our early adulting inclinations, and our older adulting observations. Of course, "we are what we eat," as well ;)
I wish my son was, he wouldn't be eating the junk he is today
Mom was a healthy eating person (by her definition, at least). Dad - meat and potatoes.

I have spent probably a good hour, while doing the laundry and prompted by @Artichoke Lover 's post ;), reading about diets. If you want to see an absolutely ridiculous & HUGE collection of ... whatever, check the "Fad diet" list in Wikipedia. Nah, I am gonna pay attention to the Mediterranean diet that have been around for about 60 years and those newer DASH and the American Heart Association's ideas. BTW, those ideas are not only commonly shared by dieticians, nutritionists, physiologists but also advanced by the public healthcare organizations of more nations than one can count on fingers and toes.

Steve

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Trying something different today.

The lemon verbena is a young plant. If there was one herb that I would be happy with by itself, as a hot drink, it would be lemon verbena. Need to leave it alone so it is a strong enough plant to go through the Winter. I have more anise hyssop but, for my tastes, it needs something. So ... I bought some chamomile tea ;).

First sip ... Oh! That's okay ... The cranberries with the chamomile - very sweet. Fragrance is different. Taste ... I need more time. Not thyme! I'm reluctant to say too much on first impression but it doesn't quite take me back to the hay barn ;). I think i had better use less of the chamomile so that licorice flavor of the hyssop comes thru.

You know. Chamomile has something of an apple flavor. It's like I'm feeding a couple of apples to Willy the Horse.

:D Steve, Good Morning!
:plbb

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I really like the sound of your mother, you are so lucky :thumbsup

she's a lot of fun and we try to find things to laugh about. once in a while we get into it about something, but i'm still here and so is she so we're doing ok. :)

for sure she has been the only person in my whole life that has been there for me so i'm glad that now i can be here for her as long as she needs me.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
she's a lot of fun and we try to find things to laugh about. once in a while we get into it about something, but i'm still here and so is she so we're doing ok. :)

for sure she has been the only person in my whole life that has been there for me so i'm glad that now i can be here for her as long as she needs me.
You are both equally lucky :love

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
IMO, diets only work with a life style change. In past, I could lose it only to revert back to old ways and regain it. When faced with drugs for hi cholesterol, diabetes, weight gain, etc., I did a life style change. No sweetened liquids, whole wheat products, oatmeal, higher fiber foods as beans, vegetables, etc. I cheat with small slice of normal dessert once in a while now-otherwise I make my own with much less sugar, whole wheat flour and oatmeal.

Last check up 117/69, both cholesterol and blood sugar normal. Lost 40+ pounds (would like to lose another 10 but not bad enough to do it). Winter is the hardest as no garden to enjoy to burn calories while weeding plus Tday, Xmas, 1/1, Easter plus all family b’days.
Life style change is my goal. I know otherwise I’ll probably end up losing 5 pounds and gain 10. I don’t have the kind of willpower needed to follow any of those fad diets. After a week of being hungry I’ll give up and eat nothing but junk for another week.
I’m quick to form habits though so lifestyle changes come somewhat easier than for most. I’ve been making slow changes the past month or so. The first week I cut out regular soda. The next week I started working on portion control. The next things that curb my hunger tea, coffee, etc. now it’s portion control and telling if I’m actually hungry or if it’s just a craving. It’s just a matter of slowly building up the habits instead of trying to rush in too quickly.

I’m not overweight yet but I’m at the high end of normal with a family history of obesity, diabetes and heart disease so I’m trying to make changes now while I’m young.

Latest posts