Coffee

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Giving up addiction to pop (excessive sugar) is usually the hardest. Keep up the good fight to change life style. I would encourage you to inform us of any positive habits and results you gain. Almost typed “good luck” but no luck needed, just the correct attitude.

plus when you might stray it is not worth it to beat yourself up over it, but to just get back at it as best you can. the more positive attitude you can keep seems to help make it easier on yourself instead of constantly grumbling about things you miss or pining after things that used to be. keep the fond memories but try to move on emotionally.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I really do not like to drink our water. It percolates through hundreds of feet (miles - horizontally) of gravel and is really full of minerals. Then, the water department adds chlorine.  Yuck

DW drinks bottled water. She seldom drinks pop or, even, sparkling water. I don't like the bottles. Don't like all the sugar in pop. Used to be fine with that as a kid - tastes change.

I almost never leave the house without a hot beverage. Oh yeah, I drink Gatorade when I'm working outdoors. I think of any of this as a "treat" but know that I need something to sustain and motivate me.

Steve

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Gardening with Rabbits , Last week I walked the Indoor Mile. It was a morning with some rain, then it was breezy ... I didn't have any outdoor plans. So, I walked.

The goal is to raise the heartbeat above 100/minute. Nothing very special and it follows the AHA ideas on cardio exercise. I can't do it simply walking in the house, there are too many 180° turns to be made that slow me down although I may cover a little more than a mile in the 30 minutes of time allotted ;). I raise my arms above my head about every 4 steps. That does it and gives my shoulders a little exercise, as well.

This was the first day that I've walked the Indoor Mile in months but soon, it will be a part of the daily schedule. I seldom miss a day thru the Winter. There isn't much muscle exercise to it and I notice how much less of an effort it is after a modestly active Summer. Still, it is only 30 minutes. It's boring, even if I feel better while I'm doing it. I no longer have Tramp the Dog on the other side of the fence and viewable out of the window. Calico, the cat from across the road, was right along the path beside the house during that day's walk. She spends quite a bit of her time in our yard these days.

We do eat a lot of fruit and veggies in this house. Salt was limited years ago because of DW's high blood pressure concerns. It becomes a matter of taste not to have very much salt on our food. It influences our eating of any processed foods and what is served at restaurants.

Good Luck with Making Some Changes. It's very possible and feeling better may be the result sooner than you might expect.

Steve

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Gardening with Rabbits , Last week I walked the Indoor Mile. It was a morning with some rain, then it was breezy ... I didn't have any outdoor plans. So, I walked.

The goal is to raise the heartbeat above 100/minute. Nothing very special and it follows the AHA ideas on cardio exercise. I can't do it simply walking in the house, there are too many 180° turns to be made that slow me down although I may cover a little more than a mile in the 30 minutes of time allotted ;). I raise my arms above my head about every 4 steps. That does it and gives my shoulders a little exercise, as well.

This was the first day that I've walked the Indoor Mile in months but soon, it will be a part of the daily schedule. I seldom miss a day thru the Winter. There isn't much muscle exercise to it and I notice how much less of an effort it is after a modestly active Summer. Still, it is only 30 minutes. It's boring, even if I feel better while I'm doing it. I no longer have Tramp the Dog on the other side of the fence and viewable out of the window. Calico, the cat from across the road, was right along the path beside the house during that day's walk. She spends quite a bit of her time in our yard these days.

We do eat a lot of fruit and veggies in this house. Salt was limited years ago because of DW's high blood pressure concerns. It becomes a matter of taste not to have very much salt on our food. It influences our eating of any processed foods and what is served at restaurants.

Good Luck with Making Some Changes. It's very possible and feeling better may be the result sooner than you might expect.

Steve
That is my plan about walking inside this winter. I have a watch that vibrates if I have been sitting too long, so I have been making sure I move when I feel that. I am not able to do a lot right now. I have to make sure my heart rate does not go up too much when walking. I think it is getting better where I can walk longer. I have lost 16 pounds cutting out most salt and eating a lot more fruit and vegetables.
This was really stupid of me to sit here all these last years and just take vitamins and a baby aspirin and think I was okay not losing weight or changing my diet. I am changing what I can now and I have next doctor appointment next month and see how things are going. I have an appointment with the pulmonary and lung doctor in Dec. I hope to have a lot of weight off and they check everything out and I can get off of the one medicine that is short term.
The blood thinner I am not going to worry about for a long, long time. I am going to get all the advice, blood work I can get and change in the next year where I am not the same person. I will have blood work next month and see if hypothyroid is still there and what kind of inflammatory markers are still high.
DS is doing the shopping and bringing home a lot of vegetables and I am planning on what greens I am going to plant for next year. I really did not have a good year for kale and other greens this year. I have to keep a good attitude about this and be positive. A lot of people are having health issues and other things worse than what I have, so I am not going to feel sorry for myself and just concentrate on improvement.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I really do not like to drink our water. It percolates through hundreds of feet (miles - horizontally) of gravel and is really full of minerals. Then, the water department adds chlorine.  Yuck

DW drinks bottled water. She seldom drinks pop or, even, sparkling water. I don't like the bottles. Don't like all the sugar in pop. Used to be fine with that as a kid - tastes change.

I almost never leave the house without a hot beverage. Oh yeah, I drink Gatorade when I'm working outdoors. I think of any of this as a "treat" but know that I need something to sustain and motivate me.

Steve
I hope they never add chlorine to our water. They do it once a year for a month. It used to be for a week. There is a water bottling place in Hayden that you can get big jugs of water, 5 gallons or 1 gallons. They deliver to your house if you want. It comes right from a well in Hayden. I have bought that now and then but usually DS picks up bottled water from the store and I do not like it.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good Morning.

This morning, both peaches and banana in my bowl of Cheerios and Crispix.

Out to the distant garden to run irrigation with the sunrise. There hasn't been a single season when I haven't felt that water was the limiting factor for the plants. The property owner pays a set fee per acre for water on more land than is irrigated. This is typical in water districts and accounts for 3 acre lawns with sprinklers running into roads while additional acres, once used for farming, lie fallow for years. The exurbs.

More gardeners with urban-size lots should talk with those folks who purchased more ground than they now have any idea of what to do with. Some compromise in gardening practices may be needed. That should be upfront as best as possible. Sharing produce and additional grounds-keeping should be off the table -- from my perspective ;). Realize what a bother trying to maintain fallow ground and keep up to community standards can be, especially for older folks whose children have left home. However, the relationship shouldn't come down to much beyond doing a good job with cleanup after maintaining a productive little (or large) personal garden for half of the year. Be appreciative :).

Steve

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Life style change is my goal. I know otherwise I’ll probably end up losing 5 pounds and gain 10. I don’t have the kind of willpower needed to follow any of those fad diets. After a week of being hungry I’ll give up and eat nothing but junk for another week.
I’m quick to form habits though so lifestyle changes come somewhat easier than for most. I’ve been making slow changes the past month or so. The first week I cut out regular soda. The next week I started working on portion control. The next things that curb my hunger tea, coffee, etc. now it’s portion control and telling if I’m actually hungry or if it’s just a craving. It’s just a matter of slowly building up the habits instead of trying to rush in too quickly.

I’m not overweight yet but I’m at the high end of normal with a family history of obesity, diabetes and heart disease so I’m trying to make changes now while I’m young.
The problem comes when the issue gets so extreme that "lifestyle change" becomes synonymous with "giving up HAVING a life." It's one thing when your doctor tells you to cut back on the junk food, it's quite another when they tell you to make all of your food decisions based SOLELY on the nutritional value of the food, without considering flavor, and, in fact, to totally ELIMINATE anything from your diet that tastes at all pleasant or acceptable and make every meal as disgusting and nauseating as possible, so you won't be tempted to overeat.

Likewise, there is a difference between being told to exercise more and being told that, from now on, you whole life has to consist of exercising EVERY second you aren't working at your job or sleeping.

Ultimately, there is a difference between being told to try a little temperance and being told temperance is not enough and you have to go to full fledged lifelong asceticism, abandoning all pleasure and all DESIRE for pleasure (that's what really annoys me, they not only want me to live a joyless life but to also not CARE I lead a joyless life, so that there is no effect from my emotional state on my health. They want me to give up even TRYING to be happy, and simply learn to be content with being perpetually miserable.)