Coffee

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Plenty of coffee here, but not for long. Going for second cup. Pork chop for breakfast. Going to light big burn pile this morning, it’s drizzling, high of 67F and winds are 3-8 MPH with gusts up to 17MPH. By the end of the day I’m gonna be tired, dirty, smokey and in bad need of a shower and my recliner.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@flowerbug had problems with flickering power and internet connection with the ice storm; much of a Winter storm might put him in the dark.

@AMKuska is thinking about a move to your neck of the woods, @Country Homesteader . (I think.) Tennessee seems to attract recent storms. We have family who moved to N Carolina about 20 years ago, when the influx of population to that state seemed to be the way to go. They settled and haven't gone anywhere over that time - kids grew up, started families ...

I was a little surprised to see that Tri-cities in Washington was rated in the top 10 for a place to raise a family. Folks bragging about California being ahead of TX and FL in recent economic growth seem to have ignored Washington as ahead of all three.

Growing conditions, I started with my own garden in a home in N Cal so close to the Pacific that I could see salt water from my front yard. Somethings were okay but it took forever for a tomato to ripen and most people couldn't grow sweet corn! Of course, i have had a little bit of those problems here ;).

I'm still trying to figure out Washington's apple growing country. Serious wild fire problems a few years ago. And yet, there in the rain shadow of the Cascade Mountains, the area has had rain and snow in recent years when other nearby locations have nothing.

Steve
with the tiniest snowflakes falling in the backyard

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not really bad... only 3-6" of snow this time, nothing like the 12"+ we had in late February. Pretty much a dusk-till-dawn storm, which will be nearly done by the time I wake. Just a little welcome exercise for me, but admittedly not great for those who need to drive at night.

It looks like @flowerbug will be getting the same 3-6" expected here.

about 3 inches so far, pretty light today, Mom told me i cannot shovel as i've done it the past few times.

that's ok with me. i can take the day off from my day off...

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@flowerbug had problems with flickering power and internet connection with the ice storm; much of a Winter storm might put him in the dark.

we've been spared power outages, but my internet connection was really poor the past few weeks. the other day i thought it was back to more normal but that was because i was up really early and within a half hour it went back to cruddy again. this morning i can actually get TEG pages to load in less than a few moments so that's a big improvement (v.s. a half hour for a single page reload).

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@AMKuska , I had European ancestors from Maryland and Virginia who then moved into Tennessee, where they met my Native American ancestors.

After that conflict/cooperation, they moved on to Kentucky, with the natives heading off for a time to eastern Pennsylvania. Next, it was on to Indiana and Oklahoma with a stop in southern Illinois, Arkansas, finally, Missouri, New Mexico.

And then - Idaho, California, with stops in Oregon in between. I grew up within 50 miles of the farthest western point in the contiguous US. Even now, in the Interior Wild West, I am farther west than San Diego.

digits' , pointing in every direction but primarily westward
edit: further → farther

Last edited:

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
More coffee and watching more snow coming down. Most of the snow yesterday melted and I got up this morning to snowing again. It has been snowing hard. It was blowing from the north east earlier but coming straight down now. Small flakes and I almost thought it was raining, but it is 29 degrees. I am getting worried about the firewood pile that is getting smaller and smaller. It is supposed to get to 50 degrees Sunday.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
@AMKuska , I had European ancestors from Maryland and Virginia who then moved into Tennessee, where they met my Native American ancestors.

After that conflict/cooperation, they moved on to Kentucky, with the natives heading off for a time to eastern Pennsylvania. Next, it was on to Indiana and Oklahoma with a stop in southern Illinois, Arkansas, finally, Missouri, New Mexico.

And then - Idaho, California, with stops in Oregon in between. I grew up within 50 miles of the farthest western point in the contiguous US. Even now, in the Interior Wild West, I am farther west than San Diego.

digits' , pointing in every direction but primarily westward
edit: further → farther
Sounds like your ancestors went everywhere!

Country Homesteader

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Good Morning everyone! Just a quick check while waiting for FH to get ready to go to auction. Usually it's "waiting on a woman" but NOT in this house it's "waiting on a man" because I'm always up and ready (or almost ready) by the time he gets up and gets motivated to do anything and that's including having taken the dogs out to potty and putting 3 in their kennel.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Country Homesteader i can fully appreciate that. I’m a whirlwind, my late husband was a handsome man, never left the house without being well dressed, pressed clothes, every hair in place, had to trim off that hair gone astray in his beard, nose hair, everything had to be perfect. Me? Not so much. I’d be waiting on him, been ready to go for last 30 minutes…….. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Going for second cup of coffee. Been so busy this week. Clearing fence row of 40 years of overgrowth. On one short stretch, maybe 300’ , got enough brush and trees down, was able to take up old fence. Had help for 2 days on that. Dragged pine logs and piled in a stack, for future raised garden beds. Yesterday did enormous burn pile with large chunks from dead oak, maybe 130 years old. Firewood rejects, too knotty to split. Branches and I made 2 pickup loads from other fence line. Walked 7.3 miles yesterday. Today me and neighbor setting H braces on property line between us, about a 600’ span. Tomorrow is Sunday, church and then sprawl out in recliner rest of day? Nah, probably not.

Latest posts