Color Coordinating Chickens With Ducks

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yep, black all the way through - skin, muscles, bones - just like silkies. The blood is red.

@Nyboy , is that price for several? They aren't THAT rare anymore.
No each This is from a breeder better quality birds then hatchery. looking for show quality birds. If I am going to start a flock want I want to start with good birds.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
If those are show quality chickens that's not a bad price. But I don't think they are yet recognized by the APA so there are no American standards. The Standard of Perfection (SOP, the description of what is required in a breed) is often different from country to country. One example of that is the Araucana. In the UK the Araucana can have a tail, in the USA they cannot. it is possible that breeder is working with a group to get that breed recognized and is involved in writing the proposed SOP. If he is I'd imagine he is trying to get hat SOP to match his birds.

Until you have an American SOP approved by the APA show quality doesn't mean a lot. You are looking at a pretty rare breed that should be pretty unique and catch people's attention. From what I've read they don't always breed true for that really deep black so don't be shocked if some don't quite meet the standard. But if they are eye candy quality to you that is probably not that bad a price. Your nephew might want to go into the business of selling chicks or hatching eggs. Not as show quality but as something fairly unique.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was thinking that. I am in a area of wealthy hobby farms. Next town Millbrook most of the horse farms have been turned into country estates for the rich.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you like them, can afford them, buy them. I have a hard time thinkin* I’d ever pay $125 for a trio let alone per chick. But then again, I can’t imagine living on east coast with your cost of living.

I always wanted Dominique’s. Finding good ones is tough. Now, I want zero chickens-just somethin* to get in my way if I want to go visit kids.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
We had Black Cochin bantams.

If there is a chicken breed that isn't much trouble, those would have to be on the list, at least.

Steve

$125/chicken!?

DphUFEMVsAAZdb2.jpeg

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
@canesisters just wondering how much is a pullet going for by you .
We have a HUGE sale/swap meet 2x a year up near Hanover - draws hundreds of vendors from 3 states. I didn't go this year but just browsing through the facebook page, there were ayam cemani ads for:
* chicks & juveniles $50ea
* 10 wk old trio $75.00
* two 30day old - $150
* hens $75ea
* trio of adults $200

It all depends on what you want and what you can afford. I can't vouch for ANY of those ads' birds quality.

I paid top dollar for a mix-breed cow because she was exactly what I wanted - right parents, right calf-hood, right age, etc. I got a bit of grief from the folks here because she was neither pure angus or pure (any of the local dairy breeds). If a Jersey bull had gotten into an angus herd around here, the calves would have sold for a fraction of what I paid - because the people selling put little value on them. But the mini jersey farm that her "knocked up" mom landed at put great value on the jersey side of her breeding and knocked off a little for the angus accident. :gig

Last edited:

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dad would have loved to have a Jersey/Angus mix for a milk cow. A decent calf sold for veal when crossed with a beef bull and the Jersey part would have meant good rich milk. I have no problems with a mixed breed as long as you get what you want.

Latest posts