come on warm weather

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Holy Toledo!

All that looks great, Major!

When you finish with that, I've got 1 or 2 projects :p.

Steve

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
that's it for the day.....
planted shallots white and red onions watering them while enjoying a cold beer..

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, we've gotta stay hydrated!

Have you grown shallots before? I'm not sure if I'd ever eaten shallots until I grew them myself. A veggie garden wouldn't be a veggie garden without shallots these days.

Here is a recipe I've been looking at. It has some of my favorite flavors and isn't too much of a stretch from what I'm used to doing:

Chicken with Honey-Beer Sauce (beer, soy sauce, shallots & honey)

Steve :)

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
remember one page back a picture of a bell pepper flower, well look we have a bell pepper now

and look what popped this afternoon...yum

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeehaw! Asparagus.

sunhat and shorts weather down there!

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Well, we've gotta stay hydrated!

Have you grown shallots before? I'm not sure if I'd ever eaten shallots until I grew them myself. A veggie garden wouldn't be a veggie garden without shallots these days.

Here is a recipe I've been looking at. It has some of my favorite flavors and isn't too much of a stretch from what I'm used to doing:

Chicken with Honey-Beer Sauce (beer, soy sauce, shallots & honey)

Steve :)
no have never tried to grow them, but have been cooking with them for years, the dw hates onions<oh well more for me> but she have been allowing me to use shallots when its my turn to cook
if the shallots do well this year will for go the rd and white onions and grow a couple different types of shallots..

thanks steve for the recipe looks and sounds great...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Resign yourself to low production, Major.

:/ So, what can you do? Plant more square feet! No, I'm not kidding :p!

Shallots are the first thing that go in my garden. They are out in July. That's about 3 months and during that 1st month, nothing much else is going to make much use of that ground.

Then, I plant another crop in those square feet. Yes, it could be a little hot but I can use my imagination . . . Green Beans. Peas! Yeah, it seems that the best time for me to plant snow peas for a fall crop is during the hottest week of the year - just before August 1st. Of course, I can wait until late August and sow seed for fall greens. So, shallots fit into my succession planting schemes. So do sweet onions and they begin going down just about the same time (little later) than the shallots.

Most shallot varieties are tiny plants. They don't like to be too crowded because they make a good size root system. They just do the best they can and we should do good by them :cool:.

Steve

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
another day getting ready.....

turned a small plot 20x15 for the 1st planting of corn ,once the garlic is ready the 2nd planting will go there.

assembled the trellis for the pole beans..

same for the cucumbers .

laying out the tomato cages, still need a few more will finish that tomorrow morning.

finished installing the fence and enjoying an ice cold beer or 2 or 3

and of course once everything is staked out will install the soaker hoses.

now all i need is plants,the children are crying to be planted in the greenhouse keeping a eye on the weather next weekend, hopefully they will get their wish.

steve i am hurrying so i can drive out there and helpout with your projects. :D :D

Latest posts