Comfort Foods and What Happens When You're Sick

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have worked myself to a frazzle on this house we bought. I drive 160 miles, work like a mad woman, then sleep on DD's sofa. Get up at 5:30 am, drink coffee, get dressed, fold up the bedding and head to the house. I did finally finish the disaster that painting turned into. Then, worn out, I got sick.

I got home Saturday afternoon and made a comforting cup of hot home canned chicken broth with generous amounts of sliced garlic. Mmmmm...... I checked the chickens, gathered the eggs and noted they needed water. When DH got home, I asked him to water the chickens. I have a 5 gallon bucket with nipples hanging in the coop, as well as several tubs in the run. Sure, he said, and went to the kitchen. The crashing sounds convinced me that he just raked dishes out of the cabinets onto the floor.

Me-WHAT ARE YOU DOING?
DH-I have to move these dirty dishes out of the way! (the ones he used while I was gone)
Me-thinking what do dirty dishes have to do with watering the chickens? This motivated me to get out of my recliner and stumble to the kitchen.
DH had the horse feed bucket in the sink, filling with water, the other sink was piled high with dishes.
Me-Why not just use the water hose?
DH-Because I have to walk all the way out there and this is easier! (he was very proud of himself for figuring this one out)
Me-You're going to dump this in the bucket? What about the tubs?
DH-Tubs?
Me-Yeah, the tubs, the ducks need water too.
DH, grumbling, lifted the bucket and took it outside, leaving a ring of horse manure/dirt stuck to the grease in the sink.... :sick
Grease? EEEEWWWW Where did that come from?
DH-he watered the chickens, filled the tubs and came back in, still grumbling about the water hose.

Sunday.
I had a friend pick Mom up for church and I stayed curled up in my recliner with a fuzzy blanket. Never got dressed all day. DH decided to go to the grocery store. I asked for Coco Puffs and tortilla chips. So for lunch, my comfort food was 2 bowls of Coco Puffs, for supper, a plate of nachos.

Monday.
Still feeling cruddy. DH brought me my coffee and made me toast this morning. :love The floors are dirty. I did manage to untangle the pile of dishes and put them in the dishwasher and clean the sink. Clothes are dirty and need washing, but we still have clean ones, so I don't care. Had another plate of nachos for lunch. Nothing says GET WELL SOON like a pile of jalapenos sitting on a tortilla chip, slathered in cheese. Hot peppers are one of my favorite comfort foods when I am sick.

Nachos.jpg

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Each to their own. I'm not sure peppers smothered in cheese sitting on a nacho chip would ever be my idea of comfort food, and for sure anything with chocolate would make me sicker. Nope, I like chicken soup or chicken broth and a warm blanket near DH. Of course, if I really want to throw the sick off, a big swig of ginger brandy (or ginger in warm milk for the babes out there) just before bed will cure just about anything.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think jalapenos and ginger brandy might cure a cold, in combination. Ginger brandy? I didn't know there was such a thing ...

Ginger root in chicken soup is a good combo. Or, just in an egg-drop soup. That is essentially a coddled egg in broth. Another root, licorice boiled and drunk - calms a cough. You'd best not eat that root and maybe not the other.

Ginger ale. Mom believed more in ginger ale than 7-up, "You like it, it likes you!"

I like the jalapenos, tho'. Makes me feel better, just the thought. Eat either or rub either on your chest. Or, both.

Steve

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've made chicken soup loaded with fresh ginger and garlic, that's yummy! But this time I want the jalapenos.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
OMG bay mule...DH used to drag the chick waterers into my kitchen sink and leave it full of poo, litter, and feathers. I think the screech I let loose when I caught him doing it could have shattered brick. He hasn't done it since. :) I think it took me a good 10 scrubs to make me feel good about that sink again. UGH!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
:yuckyuck

My DH tries, but there are some things that just escape him. He means well, but when I get sick and he has to pick up the slack, he doesn't have a clue. He was single 17 years after a divorce, you'd think he picked up a few survival techniques, but no. He paid his next door neighbor lady, who went to his house every day after he went to work, picked up his clothes where he dropped them, cleaned his kitchen of the horrible mess he made the night before and when he returned home, it was magically all clean and neat. He had no idea of how any of that happened.

In all that time, he learned to open a can and heat it up, or he ate out. He could scramble eggs too. Early in our marriage, he watched me make pancakes with a mix. He was fascinated and took over. Mix, add water, stir, pour, flip and put on a plate. He was so proud of himself! He woke me up with breakfast in bed! After the third box of pancake mix, I had to tell him to stop. :lol: It was a long time before I wanted another pancake.

We all have our many talents, but my DH's talents are not in the kitchen. I am ok with that. He is a wonderful husband to me. We will be married for 19 years in February, just God bless him for putting up with me for so long!

Latest posts