Comfort Foods and What Happens When You're Sick

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'd rather not get into my adaptation woes since a lot were ones that objectively I either should not have needed to have because they were things I should have had to courage to have changed back to the way I wanted them (read a college kitchen with problems that meant I couldn't use the oven due to the smoke detector and me too lily livered to complain to the landlord.) or were simply things that varied based on region (like having to pay a per bag fee for trash removal.)

As for comfort foods that's a bit of a grey area since usually by the time I'm sick enough I don't simply ignore it with regards to what I eat, I'm usually in a state where I am really too sick to keep ANYTHING down. I do keep a lot of bags of peppermint tea around, since that with a lot of sugar in it is a good thing to have when I am recovering from severe food poisoning, along with some minimally acidic types of jam to go on bread for the same reason (there's a violet flavored one I really like for that, but I haven't been able to find any more of it and am down to my last jar, so that's probably not going to be an option too many more times) I carry a lot of horehound candy around with me when I go to the city, but that is more for keeping myself from getting sick, especially from ague (I'm not sure if that is the right term, but I mean that hacking bronchial cough you tend to get if you get soaked in the rain, whether you actually have a illness or not) I used to also have a kind of ginger glucose candy for when my stomach was upset, but they stopped making it, along with the green tea flavor (handy for a pickup when you hadn't slept so well the previous night) and a surprisingly effective herbal cough drop with a lot of licorice.

There's also a Chinese cough drop called Golden Throat (or something like that) that I used to use when I had a cold, because it was so mentholated it could open ANY clogged nose. But I stopped because I didn't like the side effects (all that menthol made me ravenously hungry, and I wasn't always in a place where immediate eating was feasible.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
No! Thank you, @baymule, very much!
Ever since she posted about not feeling well, I've been sick. I think she managed to send a rare E-virus that struck me down rather than my computer.

This is the first time I've even been on line since Monday morning.

Doctor visit, comfort foods, unheard of naps in the afternoon, and a less than graceful, full body belly-flop in the mud after DD's youngest's basketball game last night. All through the game I wanted to curl up in DH's lap and go to sleep, but I'd promised the two youngest Grands I'd take them to watch their cousin play. Loudspeakers, bright lights, and brass bands are not comfort food situations. Even the few pieces of popcorn I tried had me choking as they stuck in my dry, aching throat.

The only good point in this viral thing is a loss of appetite. If I can lose the muscle aches, breathing difficulty, tiredness, lightheadedness and cough, but keep the loss of appetite until after the Christmas season, 2015 will be off to a great start!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not according to the doctor. I went right in hoping to get some of the TAMIFLU stuff less than 24 hours after onset. Since I went to Urgent care, she wasn't my doctor. Now I find I have a slight (99.6) temperature. I'm after pills, broth, and bed by 6:00

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey Bay? Feeling better?
Yeah, I'm feeling better. Going back up there tomorrow, DD and I will start on floors. Saturday, DD, DSIL and I will work on floors, should get a lot done. Then I'm coming back home. I figure that next week being Christmas, probably won't go up there until the following week.

No! Thank you, @baymule, very much!
Ever since she posted about not feeling well, I've been sick. I think she managed to send a rare E-virus that struck me down rather than my computer.

This is the first time I've even been on line since Monday morning.

Doctor visit, comfort foods, unheard of naps in the afternoon, and a less than graceful, full body belly-flop in the mud after DD's youngest's basketball game last night. All through the game I wanted to curl up in DH's lap and go to sleep, but I'd promised the two youngest Grands I'd take them to watch their cousin play. Loudspeakers, bright lights, and brass bands are not comfort food situations. Even the few pieces of popcorn I tried had me choking as they stuck in my dry, aching throat.

The only good point in this viral thing is a loss of appetite. If I can lose the muscle aches, breathing difficulty, tiredness, lightheadedness and cough, but keep the loss of appetite until after the Christmas season, 2015 will be off to a great start!

Red, so sorry you are feeling bad, but I sanitized my computer, so you can't blame me! :hugsHope you feel better soon. Have a plate of nachos! :lol:

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is funny..... sisnce I have been sick, DH fed the horses, chickens and gathered the eggs. I was happy to sit in the house and not stick even a toe outside. Ran out of chicken feed....did he go get more? Nooooo...... he gave them horse feed! :lol: I guess a pellet is a pellet, right? :gigRan out of dog food too.....annnnddd......yup, there was horse pellets in the dog bowl too! And he wondered why the dog had the squirts! :lol: Yes, I went to feed store and got dog food and chicken layer pellets. :thumbsup

It just doesn't work when the Lady of the House/Farm goes down.

Oh, and somehow, the love of my life broke the lid off the toilet seat.....you guessed it.... went to Lowes, got a new one and put it on today. :gig

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Nyboy that's why u have a back yard in country for....

As my dead g'pa said, only animals do that in their house. Used out house till he moved into town-no out house there....

Latest posts