Comfort Foods and What Happens When You're Sick

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I will survive! Yes, I'm finally sure I will recover and actually feel well enough to be pleased about it. (She says after tucking DH into bed with the first two aspirin he's taken in 44 years of marriage.) Lucky for him, I am well enough to handle a sick Man.

Last night I went to bed before supper. I don't know whether he grabbed something to eat or not. At the time, I didn't care. Today I laid down mid-morning for a short time and we totally skipped eating lunch. For supper, DH said he'd skip eating, but the miracle of modern medicine took effect and he felt well enough to get up for a light bite before going back to bed.

Now, while it's still way too early, I'm off to bed. The meds I've been taking keep me awake so all I get is rest, not sleep. I'm ready to try again. . .

Oh! And some good news, the geo-thermal installation started today. . . .

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
No, I went to bed well before Saturday night. It is Sunday evening now that I've felt like getting the latest news.

I can't believe how this "whatever" has me whooped! Nope, today I went to the pharmacy to pick up a prescription the doctor wrote out for me after saying antibiotics won't do any good for what I have. Since nothing else has seemed to help. . .

I still insist that I am getting better, but I've reverted from being happy that I'll live, to trying to decide if I really want to at this point.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not one to advocate drugs but when I get that something that Perscription drugs won't help, it's blackberry brandy. Few shots and I'm out and next day, on the mend. Haven't had to use it for a few years, KNOCK on my WOOD head.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I knocked myself out with Nyquil for a week. I was still sick, but I didn't know it. :lol:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
When one bug kicks the feet out from under you, the other bugs may pile on. Sometimes, you need protection from the minor players on your flanks so you can thrash the bully, unhindered.

Keep your fists up and your head down, @Smart Red; combinations and lead with your left!

Nyquil (nighttime), left me so rattled that after a week, I couldn't sleep! Wasn't gonna do that again but now the MD says no pseudoephedrine so I guess for my colds it's either home remedies or ICU.

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I get that certain tell tale feeling that I'm coming down with something I make a cup of garlic tea - crush a clove of garlic and steep in hot water, in a covered mug until cool enough to drink.

It's nasty and you taste garlic for the next 24 hours, but much better than being sick. I sometimes repeat it twice a day until I'm sure I've scared the bugs off. I haven't been sick for a very long time so apparently it"s working. :)

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
@thistlebloom u couldn't just swallow a clove of garlic? Or cook something with it? Can't imagine drinking it....& I like garlic.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Swallow a whole clove of raw garlic? I suppose I could... :sick....but don't think it would stay down.

And I do add a lot of garlic and onions to whatever I'm cooking for dinner (if it's appropriate of course ) so that helps with the immune system too.

Anyway Seed, it's like medicine, you're not supposed to like it!
It's really not that bad. I mean even my husband will drink it and he is a real lightweight about taking medicinals.