Comfrey

CountryGirl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have comfrey. It has not taken over my garden. I started out with a small plant from a friend and it is now about a foot and a half across. The bees love it. It looks great in my garden.

krzybo

Leafing Out
Reaction score
We live in Kudzu country so I'm going to plant comfrey and maybe, just maybe it will eat all the Kudzu. :) I'm going to plant it in a place that will be OK if it spreads. Thanks for all the information on this herb.

NurseNettie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Can comfrey be planted by seed, or does it need a "transplant"? I know it's a favorite of ducks, and great to compost with- and we've got lots of space for planting, so I've been thinking of growing a bunch of it-- just never looked into how to grow it :)

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am not an expert on comfrey, so if any of this info is incorrect I'm sorry, it is my understanding that regular comfrey can easily spread by seed and is highly invasive by both seed and rootings. The bocking varieties though have sterile seed so must be raised from root cuttings.

I just planted rootings from bocking #4, the more I read about comfrey the more I like about it and am probably going to get seed for regular invasive comfrey, would rather be weeding comfrey then runner grass, and bocking 14.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
wifezilla said:
I am also still interested. I am also looking for chickweed. I have seeds or plant starters to trade or $$. I am getting ready to order some of the net, so if anyone here would rather get the order, please let me know :)
Seriously you want chick weed? Why. I can't get rid of mine. Where are you?

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
A sprig or two will turn into a thousand or two before you know it. I feed it to my animals -it is supposed to be good for their health. I wish I had never planted my sprig. I am in Massachusetts if you are nearby you can have whatever you want come early spring. If you dare.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
NurseNettie said:
Can comfrey be planted by seed, or does it need a "transplant"? I know it's a favorite of ducks, and great to compost with- and we've got lots of space for planting, so I've been thinking of growing a bunch of it-- just never looked into how to grow it :)
Comfrey can be started with seed, self seeded, spread by underground roots, chop one plant up with the tiller and you will have as many plants as the tiller cuts up.