Competitive gardening

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm not talking about professionally. Do you have a contest with someone else?

When my dad was alive, it was who had first ripe tomato. He cheated one year and bought a plant with one on already. Of course, when they retired to KY, contest over. He would still let me know he had tomatoes before me---dang southerners. Cheat all the time and then gloat........

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Your dad sounds a lot like mine Seed. You had to watch him like a hawk when you played table games with him. He got such a kick out of pulling one over on everybody.

No contest here, but that would be a fun thing to start with the new neighbors who all have their gardens in before me.

I could so totally get into cheating....:D

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think I compete every year, whether I intend to or not....I'll drive by other gardens and compare theirs with mine. Sometimes I gloat, sometimes I envy, but every year is a silent competition though I don't really consider myself a competitive person at all. Funny, isn't it?

I do the same thing with wood piles in the fall...I'll drive by a particularly wonderful, neatly stacked and abundant wood pile and covet it...or silently think ours is slightly more wonderful. My mother will do the same. :gig Doesn't matter how much we have in the shed and neatly stacked on our own homestead, we will still drool over wood piles as we are out and about.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
That was what was funny about him. He'd cheat in garden but would go nuts if anyone (even g'kids) cheated on games.... Go figure.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Last year I posted scrumptious pictures of an abundance of ripe tomatoes. Seedcorn I don't think you'll be muttering bad things about me this year. I do have blooms and a few tiny green tomatoes. My competition this year will be me versus WEEDS.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
First in garden is beginning of race. It's RIPE tomato that wins. & NO, fried green tomatoes do NOT count....

Latest posts