Competitive gardening

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Grumble. Grumble. Grumble. Being cheated and this time from a northerner! Is there no honor?

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think I compete every year, whether I intend to or not....I'll drive by other gardens and compare theirs with mine. Sometimes I gloat, sometimes I envy, but every year is a silent competition though I don't really consider myself a competitive person at all. Funny, isn't it?

I do the same thing with wood piles in the fall...I'll drive by a particularly wonderful, neatly stacked and abundant wood pile and covet it...or silently think ours is slightly more wonderful. My mother will do the same. :gig Doesn't matter how much we have in the shed and neatly stacked on our own homestead, we will still drool over wood piles as we are out and about.

Exactly the same. I can garden without caring anything about other gardens, but I do like to look and not that I am jealous, but I want ideas for the next year. DH and I look at wood piles too. He actually is doing better than other men at church that only go out for big huge red fir. DH does not have the time or equipment and cannot go with the others because they go on the weekend and he has to work, so he has been going closer and takes DS, and sometimes my brother, DD, or me on all of us and we are getting red fir, but also lodge pole, white fir, tamarack, whatever is dry and we have a lot of wood leftover for next year. This was the first year that I did not get sap on my hands, floor, clothes.

Wishin'

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm not talking about professionally. Do you have a contest with someone else?

When my dad was alive, it was who had first ripe tomato. He cheated one year and bought a plant with one on already. Of course, when they retired to KY, contest over. He would still let me know he had tomatoes before me---dang southerners. Cheat all the time and then gloat........
You know it!
vObNzJHNWllRqJ0OFxOzmBrEMG0HcTgeY5R3o5PytCoS2mBu0sZ3YCFR39m4-C3YJqjL00D91vUBVkSRpvT7_4yoGfUgjXyUVKYWWSOzWV80GTccf_zUUGw8QU3d=s0-d-e1-ft
vObNzJHNWllRqJ0OFxOzmBrEMG0HcTgeY5R3o5PytCoS2mBu0sZ3YCFR39m4-C3YJqjL00D91vUBVkSRpvT7_4yoGfUgjXyUVKYWWSOzWV80GTccf_zUUGw8QU3d=s0-d-e1-ft

Wishin'

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Your dad sounds a lot like mine Seed. You had to watch him like a hawk when you played table games with him. He got such a kick out of pulling one over on everybody.

No contest here, but that would be a fun thing to start with the new neighbors who all have their gardens in before me.

I could so totally get into cheating....:D
:gig

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't have ANYTHING in the ground yet....
sSa_falltopieces.gif

Been so busy with the fence clearing, and the cow, and more fence clearing, and the poison oak, and the scratching, and the itching, and more fence clearing.....

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh Debbie, I really empathize with you having to endure the poison oak. I used to get poison ivy just by looking at it. Too bad they quit producing that poison ivy preventative that was an oral med. Utility/phone company linemen used to get it, because so much of their work was in poison ivy laden areas. It probably had some horrible side effects that we didn't know about. :hide

Latest posts