Complete rabbit setup at no charge

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I haven't mentioned it on this board but I have been having some heart trouble and need to go in for a bypass. The problem is I have to act quickly and my rabbits need a home. I already posted the information on Rabbit Talk (great rabbit board BTW)
I hope you don't mind if I just cut and paste my post here. Anyone within driving distance of san Diego can have the entire setup. First come, first served. I don't have time to be picky.
Good news and bad news. They went in hoping a stent would do the job but had to back out when they got a look at what they were up against. I have to go in for a bypass in two weeks. I won't have a lot of time but if anyone close by wants a complete rabbit setup, including breeders, cages and racks let me know. I'd rather give them to someone who knows how to care for them than try to sell them and end up with them in the wrong hands. I have two proven rex/NZ cross does who are excellent and experienced mamas (one of the does just kindled and the other is due around the 28th of this month),One doe of the same line who looks good but hasn't been bred yet, one Rex buck, one of the bucks from the meat line I was hoping to establish (spooky)Ten young that will be ready for fryers in about three weeks, two black angora bucks that look like tribbles and eight newborm healthy kits. All except the spooky buck have sweet dispositions and are quite sociable. Free to someone who knows what to do with them.
For cages I have three 2X2 cages. Two of them are modular so can be joined to make one 2X4 cage or used seperately. Three 2X4X2 feet high cages with built in shelves and one 24X30 inch cage that joins up with an outside shelter box. Two combination nest/shelter boxes of my own design that have done a great job for kindling. Miscelaneous water bottles, feeders and rabbit furniture. They are all wire cages I made myself but well built. Poop chutes hook underneath for easy cleaning. The racks are made of wood with corrugated roofing to keep off the rain but they won't be easy to move unless you have access to a truck. You may be able to cut them into sections and rejoin them when you get them home. PM me and we can talk it over.
It may be some time before I can start over but I will if it's possible. SHEESH. I was really developing a nice meat line. This is a good sturdy line. I have been developing them for several years and have yet to see a sick rabbit.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hoodat, I live in IA so it is out of the question for me to take the rabbits. I just want to jump in and wish you a succesful procedure with a quick recovery. :hugs We will miss your posts while you are laid up (temporarily, right :)). Sending positive thoughts and prayers. Hugs....

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Carol Dee said:
Hoodat, I live in IA so it is out of the question for me to take the rabbits. I just want to jump in and wish you a succesful procedure with a quick recovery. :hugs We will miss your posts while you are laid up (temporarily, right :)). Sending positive thoughts and prayers. Hugs....
I hope it's just temporary. My son who is a worry wart but also a nurse has insisted I stay with them while I recuperate.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wishing you the best of luck. I will miss your wit and wisdom on this forum while you are recouperating. Please let us know how things progress.

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So sorry to hear this! I would take them in a heartbeat if I weren't on the other side of the country. I put it out on Facebook and encourage everyone to spread the word -- even if you can't take them yourself, you may know someone who knows someone who... :)

Best wishes for an uneventful surgery and a quick recovery.

-Wendy

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh Hoodat, I am so sorry to hear you are having health problems. Could your neighbors take care of the rabbits while you are recouping? Please keep in contact with us, so that we know you are alright. I know everyone will be worrying. Sending you all the best wishes for a speedy recovery.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
wsmoak said:
So sorry to hear this! I would take them in a heartbeat if I weren't on the other side of the country. I put it out on Facebook and encourage everyone to spread the word -- even if you can't take them yourself, you may know someone who knows someone who... :)

Best wishes for an uneventful surgery and a quick recovery.

-Wendy
Thanks for putting it on Facebook for me. I'm not up on the social media so I never thought of that. It would really be a load off my mind to know they are in good hands. Animals like these put themselves into our hands and trust us to care for them. I'd hate to let them down.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This setup could supply a pretty good sized family with all the rabbits they want. I've been producing around 20 per month and that's giving the does plenty of time between litters. Pushed a bit harder they could produce around thirty and you could even grow out more breeding does from those already almost mature.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hoodat, I hope your surgery and recovery is quick. I'll say alittle prayer for you and hope that someone will take your rabbits on a temporary basis until you can take them back.

Mary

Latest posts