composting methods and why i do what i do

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm not gonna

"like"

that.

Steve

i just did in your honor. :) just kiddin'. we have a rather dark sense of humor here at times, earthy too. i'd consider it a great thing to be composted and turned into worm food. they've been feeding me for so many years, it is their due... i'd rather be eaten by worms than pickled/preserved/embalmed and shut up in some metal/wood/casket and cement sarcophagus... what a horrible waste of resources IMO. but that's just me...

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
that's a rediculously expensive place... *sigh* just dig a hole out back, roll me in, bury. i'd do it for a glass of water.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know it is.

However, the mortuary processing, plus casket, plus vault, are added, unnecessary expenses otherwise.

Personally, I don't care. Expense? That's not up to me. I just don't want to be a problem. Off the end of the plank. Tree house. Shoot me into space. :hu

Steve

RUNuts

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Dark humor. No one gets out alive! :)
Live fast, die young, leave a good looking corpse.
I do like the T-shirt.

Had a bunch of pine needle in a fence circle. Every year I'd pull it apart, get the little bit that composted from the center and put everything back in. Years. Adding kitchen waste and what every to those pine needles. Fond memories. :he

With the birds, I'm making hot compost with the free wood chips. Birds get the kitchen scraps now. I'm finding it real easy to throw everything into the bird area and wait. This is the first year. Only problem was the smell got me and I dumped another load of woodchips to cure it. I'm trying to find my balance.

Coop or loft clean out is what gets put on the pallet composter. Just doesn't seem right dumping it in the run, sorry, flight cage. I also used it for the feathers from the last harvest. I'll find out in a month how that worked. I will say the dogs, parrots and squirrels find the compost collection very inviting.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I also do deep litter in the chicken coop as well as the sheep shelter. I dug out both a month ago and put the proceeds in the garden. I have started over in both. In the sheep shelter, I put pine shavings, then hay. The sheep have a round bale and won't eat the stemmy parts. No problem. I pull the stemmy parts out and use it for bedding. The sheep pee and poop and I toss in more hay. I also have bagged pine needles for the chicken coop. I let the animals do what they do and make me compost!

We have sand for soil. We got lucky last year and got close to 100 loads of wood chips from a crew cleaning up the power line right of ways. We let them park their trucks on our property at night and they brought us load after load. We spread the chips everywhere. My husband spread them on the driveway (dirt and rock) to keep down the dust. We spread them in the garden. We put them in the barn. The barnyard is sand and we have a 30 year old mare that has breathing issues, when the dry sand blows, she coughs and heaves for breath. So we covered the barnyard too.

It is a year later, we have cleaned out the barn several times and spread more chips. Now we are going to scoop up the barnyard area and spread it in the garden and re-chip the barnyard. I love my tractor!

Keeping bins and turning compost from bin to bin, fidgeting all the time with the stuff--I don't think so!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@RUNuts in the fall, when people are putting bags of leaves at the curb for garbage pick up, grab them and dump in the Asian Ground Parrots coop and run. Pile them in there 3 feet deep! If you do this early in the fall, it won't take long for the AGP's to reduce the leaves down to about 6-8 inches deep. Dig it out and spread in the garden. Hopefully you stocked up on the leaves while they were out there, free for the taking. Dump in some more and start over!

In your area, look at the trees in the yard. If there are Chinese tallow trees, pass on the leaves and go to the next yard.

Latest posts