Concern For My Bee Friends

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have a busy little corner of my yard (new to where I park my car...oops) where I planted a ton of penstemon. The bumble bees go to town on it all day, alone with some hummingbirds.

Well last week I noticed about 12 dead bees just laying on the ground under the plants. Again yesterday another dozen or so. I have jars of water available here and there I find them on the rims of, and I water their other habits wondering what they are getting into?!

Around here the only gardening in the neighborhood I know of are all organic... and I surely don't spray anything but neem oil on 2 occasions (both times at dusk and no wind).

Could someone be close by be spraying, or do you think the high heat and random super heavy storms we've had may have something to do with this?

I'd like this to stop happening... its not natural to find them dropped dead everywhere like this! :/

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Weird... Is it only near the penstemon? They should go home when the rain comes. Maybe the heat is exhausting them?

You are a good bee-friend, leaving them water. :cool:

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
vfem said:
I have a busy little corner of my yard (new to where I park my car...oops) where I planted a ton of penstemon. The bumble bees go to town on it all day, alone with some hummingbirds.

Well last week I noticed about 12 dead bees just laying on the ground under the plants. Again yesterday another dozen or so. I have jars of water available here and there I find them on the rims of, and I water their other habits wondering what they are getting into?!

Around here the only gardening in the neighborhood I know of are all organic... and I surely don't spray anything but neem oil on 2 occasions (both times at dusk and no wind).

Could someone be close by be spraying, or do you think the high heat and random super heavy storms we've had may have something to do with this?

I'd like this to stop happening... its not natural to find them dropped dead everywhere like this! :/
This could be your problem,especially if you have a golf course or park nearby. Lots of other good info on this site also.

http://patwelsh.com/wpmu/blog/bees/please-help-save-the-bees-pt-2/