Confused about mulch

heirloomgal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This is what we are doing this year. We put 2 dog kennels 10 x 10 x 8 together to make a 20 x 10 foot space. We removed 1 foot of the clay topsoil. There are 1 foot wide timbers pressure treated and painted with Thompsons Weatherseal and lined with plastic around the edges. We are in the process of filling it in with mushroom soil, which is a composted soil. There ie landscaping paper under the soil. It will be 12 inches deep. No deer and no rabbits or other critters can get in. It was costly to set up but should ne nice for years.View attachment 40239
That looks awesome! And completely animal proof! Your soil looks very rich, with a good texture. I bet you'll grow a ton in there.

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
@AMKuska : oh yes, our fire season has started down here in Oregon already. Last year we lost two towns next to Medford - completely burned down. This year is going to be more difficult to combat fires.

My soil is cracking already. There are deep ruts out in the rough of the golf course. We have clay about 8" down below the fill used to build this house 21 years ago.

I moved up here for more water and lower taxes and brought the Calif drought with me.

CDitzel

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
That looks awesome! And completely animal proof! Your soil looks very rich, with a good texture. I bet you'll grow a ton in there.
Today we got 2 large tractor tires from a tractor dealership. They were thrilled to be rid of them and asked us to tell our neighbors. Cost: only the gas for the pickup and what the soil and flowers cost. Any ideas what to plant in them?
This is what we did with our retaining wall last fall. 500 bulbs planted there.

Attachments

• Resized_20210418_142606.jpeg
    Resized_20210418_142606.jpeg
    18.8 KB · Views: 14
  • Resized_20210418_142623.jpeg
    Resized_20210418_142623.jpeg
    283.7 KB · Views: 13

heirloomgal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Today we got 2 large tractor tires from a tractor dealership. They were thrilled to be rid of them and asked us to tell our neighbors. Cost: only the gas for the pickup and what the soil and flowers cost. Any ideas what to plant in them?
This is what we did with our retaining wall last fall. 500 bulbs planted there.
Beautiful tulips! I've seen some pretty amazing squash/pumpkin/melon plants growing in large tires. They love the heat contained in those, and they can ramble over the sides too. Not sure if you are thinking edibles or flowers...

Last edited:

Latest posts