Container Gardening advice needed....

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks guys for all the great ideas! So glad you reminded me about those crystals- that will really be a help, if I can't get there everyday to water. The buildings are quite attractively landscaped with shrubs and trees. The buckets are used only for annuals. I don't think, with our short growing season I will change out the plants. Possible exception being, there are two buckets by the entrance sign- they would be nice to change. I think I will try ornamental kale from seed-and use those for the fall, in those buckets.
I have huge hostas at another property that need to be divided desperately- maybe I will try a few of those. I guess I will buy some seeds and see what grows! If I can't grow anything- I will be at the mercy of the greenhouses. Thanks! I will keep you posted when I get them planted (who knows maybe I will even take a picture.);)

hannahsmith

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thanks too all for sharing the gardening tips.
These all tips are really very much helpful as i am also involved in this business.
Flowers Online

SmithNoh

Sprout
Reaction score
Thank you so much for this posting. It was a wonderful idea, I am really impress.

seedcrazy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I was thinking profusion zinnia, they fill out as the season goes along and look beautiful, don't have to deadhead either and go til frost!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Done! Holy cow, I really admire you folks who garden for a living. I planted out the 24 containers and a garden area around the sign. Still 3 more barrels to go. By the end of the day- I didn't care if I ever saw another flower! I chose Coleus and asparagus fern for the shaded barrels and sunpatients and fountain grass for the full sun barrels. Not too creative, but they look really nice and the tenants are pleased. Now that I see what is involved, I will try to do something a little more interesting next year. Around the sign I did, Elephant Ears, knockout roses, some Iris, some pink daisies, and a Lady's Mantel. I have black eyed susan vine growing up the sign posts. May add a little more, as I see what I can spare from my gardens at home... Thanks again for all the great ideas!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Add some sedum to the barrels. They will provide a living mulch, hold water, and look pretty. They should also over Winter and you can just pull out a handful where you want to plant next year. Once established they will spill over the side of the pots, bloom yellow, and be an inexpensive start to the pots every spring.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Another great idea, Cat! I planted some of that last year in a few containers around the house- and was surprised to see how nicely they wintered over. In the fall, I am hoping to empty the barrels about half way- so I can add new potting soil in the spring. The dirt looked a little tired... But, next year I will add the sedum, for sure! I like the idea of starting with something- not such a huge task that way....

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
lesa said:
Done! Holy cow, I really admire you folks who garden for a living. I planted out the 24 containers and a garden area around the sign. Still 3 more barrels to go. By the end of the day- I didn't care if I ever saw another flower! I chose Coleus and asparagus fern for the shaded barrels and sunpatients and fountain grass for the full sun barrels. Not too creative, but they look really nice and the tenants are pleased. Now that I see what is involved, I will try to do something a little more interesting next year. Around the sign I did, Elephant Ears, knockout roses, some Iris, some pink daisies, and a Lady's Mantel. I have black eyed susan vine growing up the sign posts. May add a little more, as I see what I can spare from my gardens at home... Thanks again for all the great ideas!
Whoa... there's a black eyed susan VINE? :drool

Latest posts