Container satsumas

desertcat

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I was in Lowe's for a non-garden project yesterday and in the obligatory garden shop tour, I found marked down satsumas :clap All I really know about them is that in Amarillo, they will have to be a container plant and that I REALLY like the fruit!

I'm going back later today to get one (or two...they're only $10 each :) ) but would really like some input on which variety makes the best fruit and how not to kill them before I get fruit.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Satsumas make tasty fruit, but you'll need another variety for cross pollination. Typically that would be Santa Rosa, they seem to be more widely available in my limited experience. Burbank and Shiro will pollinate with Satsuma also if they have those varieties.

Why will you have to grow it in a container Desertcat?

desertcat

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Has to go in a container because we normally get a lot colder than we did this winter. Not uncommon to be at or below 0 for several days and I've heard they DO NOT appreciate being that cold. Come to think of it, neither do I :/

The satsumas I'm looking at (and like to eat) are like the cutie oranges in the grocery store. Pics on the tags showed oranges.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
ah, i was thinking plums at first but when i checked the name oranges came up too. so i'm a little clueless on oranges since we have to greenhouse grow them up here. and most plants are the dwarf types.

$10 sounds like a real steal for them! i think they get something like $50 for the dwarf types here.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
desertcat said:
Has to go in a container because we normally get a lot colder than we did this winter. Not uncommon to be at or below 0 for several days and I've heard they DO NOT appreciate being that cold. Come to think of it, neither do I :/

The satsumas I'm looking at (and like to eat) are like the cutie oranges in the grocery store. Pics on the tags showed oranges.
Aha! My mind immediately went to plums.... didn't even think orange! I guess that changes things quite a bit! :)

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
When you think of Satsumas, think citrus. A friend had one in his yard in the New Orleans area. The fruit is not what I'd call real pretty but man those were good.

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Satsumas are popular in the south. They are like small oranges and quite tasty. I'm going to try a couple in the ground and see if they make it.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
To answer your "how to" question I found a site that mentions Satsumas as good in containers ( that's a good sign! ) and it has info for TX. You'll have to scroll down a bit to glean what you need.

Latest posts