Contemplating my garden - Rose pics on Page 6

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hattie, did you see, her favorite rose is Rosa Mundi! I didn't know it was so closely related to the Rose of Lancaster, I've got that one, too! I've got a blog, I really should use it...

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi Ann :frow

Yes, you should!! I, for one, would love it. You have so much knowledge to share. Also people are always fascinated by other's battles with nature. You take such beautiful photos too. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE! :bow :bow :bow

:rose Hattie :rose

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow Hi Ann, :frow

I saw in another topic that you are having miserable weather -- SORRY ABOUT THAT -- how are your roses doing? I live in dread at this time of the year because if it continues to pour all one's precious blooms turn into brown soggy balls (& that's it for the year).

Luckily this year the heavy rain came JUST BEFORE the roses opened so I have had them in their full glory -- it has been heavenly! The perfume has been amazing.

My" Kiftsgate Rose" is out now. It grows up into trees -- I mean 20'--30'& is covered in what looks like bunches of single white flowers. It was found in the garden of a country house called Kiftsgate. Not many people grow it because it gets so HUGE. I have it on my end boundary. I love it & it is a show stopper. It also is pretty thorny so it's good for secuity & animals like deer don't bother it -- may be you could use it for that reason. I think it's grown on its own roots -- it would certainly be easy to take cuttings. I haven't had to because one is enough (even for me). It has a very subtle scent, especially on warm days.

http://www.rogersroses.com/gallery/displayBlock.asp?bid=2022&suppid=9

http://www.davidaustinroses.com/english/showrose.asp?showr=169 ****[ I edited to add this because it's a better photo --I know you can't grow David Austin Roses in your area Ann]

This year has been wonderful for roses here. I think the hard winter was very good for them -- virtually no aphids (on anything).

How are your gardens doing? Especially the new Herb Parterre? Have you got it all mulched yet?

:rose Hattie :rose

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hattie the Hen said:
:frow Hi Ann, :frow

I saw in another topic that you are having miserable weather -- SORRY ABOUT THAT -- how are your roses doing? I live in dread at this time of the year because if it continues to pour all one's precious blooms turn into brown soggy balls (& that's it for the year).
Yes, I cut off quite a few 'balled' roses yesterday, when the sun peaked out for a few hours in the late afternoon. It's gone today, so far, we had thunderstorms early this morning and the gloom continues. Here is a link to my weather forecast, as you can see, there's nothing but rain in the forecast for yet another week. :barnie And while it rains and ruins my roses, it also ruins the chance my husband will work, which is more than maddening. It isn't good for a man to not work, he's very unhappy with it all. But what can we do?

Luckily this year the heavy rain came JUST BEFORE the roses opened so I have had them in their full glory -- it has been heavenly! The perfume has been amazing.
The roses that opened have been heavenly smelling! Remember, most of mine are new, they're little, and they're just barely starting to bloom now, except for those we bought last week at The Rose Man. Those were in full bloom, of course now they're suffering with the rain, but they smell divine :)

My" Kiftsgate Rose" is out now. It grows up into trees -- I mean 20'--30'& is covered in what looks like bunches of single white flowers. It was found in the garden of a country house called Kiftsgate. Not many people grow it because it gets so HUGE. I have it on my end boundary. I love it & it is a show stopper. It also is pretty thorny so it's good for secuity & animals like deer don't bother it -- may be you could use it for that reason. I think it's grown on its own roots -- it would certainly be easy to take cuttings. I haven't had to because one is enough (even for me). It has a very subtle scent, especially on warm days.
That rose looks an awful lot like our weed rose, Rosa multiflora, people call it the dog rose for some reason. It is a vigorous rootstock plant for grafted roses, which has helped its spread. There's a slight scent, but it spreads vigorously by seed, and are really quite the pest. It'll cover trees, buildings, anything it can climb on. They can be pretty, but I remove them, because they get so huge and everywhere! Hopefully Kiftsgate behaves itself better than multiflora!

[ I edited to add this because it's a better photo --I know you can't grow David Austin Roses in your area Ann]
Actually there are quite a few we can grow, but not as luxuriously as you guys can! Christopher Marlowe is a David Austin, as is Abraham Darby, I think, they both grow here. What I'd love to grow is one my mother grows, Alchemyst, but that's marginal for us here. Here's a photo of hers:

alchemyst.jpg

You can see she deals with rose pests and damage, it's pretty bad around here, none of the foliage lasts very long, but a healthy rose will replace it soon enough. That's the hardest part, dealing with the pests. I can't stand it, but I want roses, so I deal with it.

There are those who can't be bothered with roses because of the pests, I'm using an organic spray on mine, it helps, but it doesn't do it all.

How are your gardens doing? Especially the new Herb Parterre? Have you got it all mulched yet?
Oooh, Herb Parterre, I love it! I'm still working on that, half is now mulched to keep the weeds down with the cocoa bean hull mulch, the only problem with it and I knew this before but had forgotten - it gets a white mold on it when it rains, so you can imagine how bad it is right now. It goes in the sunlight, which is what we desperately need.

This rain is ridiculous. I really can't remember a stretch as long as this one. If the forecast holds out, it'll be three weeks with literally no sun. Ugh!

My husband is up at the Maine house, I just spoke with him on the phone, and it's sunny out there. Those potatoes are 16-18" tall now and starting to flower! We'll be eating potatoes soon enough from that patch up there!

Latest posts